New Orleans for 1yr Anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice and I was hoping you guys would have some suggestions!

My husband and I are heading to New Orleans for our 1yr wedding anniversary on Friday, May 29 and we will be there for a long weekend. We are in our mid-30's and would like to take advantage of everything the city has to offer. We are staying at the Hilton St. Charles (which I think is just a few blocks from the French Quarter in the Garden District). Has anyone stayed at this hotel??

I was hoping you may have suggestions for interesting things to check out, places to eat (reasonably priced, but a few nicer places for the evenings) and some must see/do's for the area. We did NOT get a rental car, so we will be using the trolleys and taxis to get around.

We've seen several tours listed on line, but do you have suggestions for fun/best one's? We would like to do a city tour, a haunted tour, and perhaps the vampire tour.

Last question... how safe is NOLA now a days? Neither of us have been since the early 2000's and we are savvy travelers, but is there any place to avoid at this time near Canal, Magazine, FQ, or the Garden District?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:07 AM

I just topped a number of Nola posts for someone yesterday, just type New Orleans into the search function, they should all be right at the top. Enjoy & Congrats.
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I just found it, thanks!! Any suggestions on the tours??
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM

Janelle--you'll have a blast; I was just there about 3 weeks ago.

Safety wise, the only time I felt a little unsafe was on a walk back to my B&B on a stretch of empty blocks from the outskirts of the business district to the Lower Garden District (walking under I-90). We passed a character or two that sort of made us uneasy--started speaking to us (sort of), etc. but really it wasn't a big deal. We just kept walking.

One quick recommendation (I really need to write my report!) For a lively night, head to dinner at Jacques-Imo's; and after go to the great bar next door for some live music, the Maple Leaf Bar is next door. Highly recommended!
http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com/

We didn't rent a car either; we did take taxis most of the time at night but we were staying in the Lower Garden district which is obviously a long walk from the French Quarter and other parts of the city.

Our B&B owner advised us just to only call one cab company in town, United (it was even printed on our room's keychain). I recommend them as well; we took two rides with other companies and felt that we were taken "the long way". The number for United is (504) 522-9771.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM

Indeed Katie, where IS that trip report, you've been slacking...
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM

I can't help much w/the tours, but if you do decide to visit a cemetery, do a tour, I guess they have been having some problems there...perhaps one of the ones you mentioned w/be inclusive of one of the awesome cemeteries.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM

I know! I think I might just do an outline and then work from there.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the taxi advice! I'm loading it into my phone now! I remember a similar incident when I was there a few years ago and a taxi ride from airport to the FQ was $50!

A friend recommended a riverboat cruise with dinner. Any suggestions on that?
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM

I really wouldn't do a cruise with dinner. The food is just so-so and you're in a city known for the cuisine so why waste it? Just a day cruise is ok if you want to sit back on the water and see some sights. As for city tours, we went with Gray Line that had a short stop at a cemetery so we were very pleased with the 2-1. There was a load of information given during the trip and with an air conditioned bus we were very pleased.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM

Taxi from the airport was $50? New Orleans has a set rate from the airport - I think it is $31 now. If you get a cab from the cab stand at the airport, they are required to charge the set rate.

We like walking tours and have had great luck with the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Company. They have a cemetery/voodoo tour.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM

Speaking of cruising...

While I didn't do this, the owner of the B&B recommended that we take the quick ferry ride to Algiers if we wanted to see some water. Has anyone here done that?

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...p_2071260.html
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM

Katie_H,

Yes, growing up, my father would always take us on the ferry ride across the river (instead of taking the overpriced paddlewheelers). There is an indoor air conditioned lounge if that appeals to you and you can also just walk down to where the cars are parked and be right next to the water. That's usually where I like to be, watching the mighty Mississippi lap at the edge of the ferry.

As I grew up, I've been on many of the different paddleboat tours and while they offer up great views of the city, the food is almost always subpar.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

The ferry ride to Algiers sounds like a potential plan! I've been reading it is hotter than Hades right now in NOLA--- which I assume is typical for this time of year, so I'm hoping for a nice breeze off the river. Is that wishful thinking?

Has anyone done the vampire tour? Is one pretty much the same as the rest? And,someone told me the after Katrina tours are good (but depressing? Thoughts??
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

OH -and one other question --- is there somewhere to get deal/coupons for food/drinks/tours in NOLA??
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM

You can always take advantage of the 3 for 1's on Bourbon St. if you are a beer drinker. Otherwise, I am no help.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM

Google New Orleans coupons and you'll get some really good sites to choose from. If you like the daquiris from Mango Mango go to their website and download the 2-1 coupons they offer. DH doesn't do daquiris, but he gets a beer and I have the "adult icee" and they still honor 2-1.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM

Forecast for the next few days:
Today High: 78°
Tomorrow Low: 72° High: 78°
Sunday Low: 72° High: 81°
Monday Low: 74° High: 81°
Tuesday Low: 75° High: 83°

That's about as cool as it can be this time of year! You are very fortunate.
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I will do a trip report when I return so I can hopefully pass my little tidbits of knowledge to others!

OH - one more question... my darling hubby decided last night that he wanted to go somewhere nice and romantic for our anniversary (May 30) when we are down there. I know they have tons of wonderful restaurants, but what about romance factor??