Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans

My sister told me that one of the cities that she would like to visit is New Orleans. I would assume that New Orleans is still not the same. Is this place still infested with crime. Has anyone been there that can recommend on what to do in this City.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM

I recently read a report that murder rates were higher in 2007 in NO. It certainly is not the same as pre-Katrina NO but the Garden District and French Quarter are still lovely. I would research what you want to do, go with some idea about how you plan to move around and be street-smart about going out at night.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM

As far as what to do in New Orleans, check out one of the many travel guides from your library or book store. There is too much to list. Food, music, history...depends on your interests.

The murder rate in New Orleans is getting plenty of attention from the media since Katrina.

The actual numbers are for the most recent years.
2007 209
2006 161
2005 211

Do you remember the 90'S?
1993 395
1994 424
1995 363
1996 351

A controversial study released in 2007 for "Most Dangerous Cities" which included muder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft ranked these cities.

1 Detroit, MI
2 St Louis, MO
3 Flint, MI
4 Oakland, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 N Charleston, SC
8 Memphis, TN
9 Richmond, CA
10 Cleveland, OH

This summer, we took a road trip to the Southwest and visited 7 states. No matter what city we were in, the top story on the local news was murder.

In fact, in Tuscon, several cars at the hotel were broken into with their windows smashed in.

So, yes, this country is infested with crime and no, it has not stopped me from travelling yet.

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Crime is a problem in an major city in the U.S.

New Orleans is a great place to visit...as mentioned above, too much to see/do to list. But, I would recommend taking as many tours as possible. Take the night time Ghost Tour that starts at the voodoo shop; take the Graveyard Tour; the one of the Garden District; and there are several plantation tours available. They're a great way to see a lot of the city...and if you see a place you like on any of them, you can always come back.

You can walk around the French Quarter, but avoid all dark ally ways. Take cabs or the trolley any place else...easier, faster and also faster.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM

We were in New Orleans the beginning of December and had a fabulous time. The city is definitely open for business.

We took a Katrina tour and the guide told us that the crime rate is higher because of illegals working in some of the gutted houses. Because they are illegal they can't put their money in the banks and are easy targets.

While we were in New Orleans a report was issued saying that there was still a perception that the city was under water. We were told that most of the tourists coming back were Canadians and Europeans and that American tourists were way down.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM

We spent Christmas 2006 in New Orleans and we loved it!!!

We didn't see a crime problem. Inside the French Quarter, a lot of police. A walkable town, and we did a lot of walking.

Yes, we drove through a lot of more remote neighborhoods (in order to see Katrina damages), and there were some areas where we had the feeling better not to stop and leave the car. But such neighborhoods we have seen in any other US city.

We enjoyed nightlife and music and food in New Orleans. A most beautiful city!!

(I have to say, we come from Europe.)