New Orleans, trip report

Search

New Orleans, trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans, trip report

Thanks to all who gave advice and to everyone who has written trip reports.

DH and I have not been feeling well, but had SW tickets that were expiring. We wanted to go someplace easy, where we could just walk out of our hotel and be there with little effort and no need of a car, so we chose NO.

We got a non-stop flight, grabbed a taxi to our hotel and we were eating dinner in about an hour after landing. You absolutely do not need (or want) a car. You can walk everywhere in the French Quarter in just a few minutes. Restaurants are on every block. Musicians are playing on every corner, in parks, squares and, of course, clubs. There are some wonderful art galleries. I had the best ice-cream I have ever tasted.

One of the most historic old homes, The Hermann-Grimi House, is right in the French Quarter, was easy to tour without much planning. We took the trolley (very beautiful, old wood) to the garden district to see and tour one of the old cemeteries. Both provided insight into the history and culture of New Orleans, a truly unique place.

At times, in places like Bourbon Street, it is congested and noisy. Street life is a bit chaotic and not pretty, but there are lovely parks and most hotels, and many restaurants and homes have interior gardens or a terrace with pools and plants that are an oasis of serenity and quiet beauty.

It was surprisingly about 10 degrees cooler there than on the mid-Atlantic Coast.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you had a lovely time. New Orleans is one of my favorite places.