New Orleans Convention Center Hotels

Aug 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

New Orleans Convention Center Hotels

Found out yesterday that I'll be attending a convention in New Orleans in November. Unfortunately, most of the hotels are already sold out. It looks like the Hilton Riverside and Wyndham Riverfront both have availability. How close are these hotels to the convention center? Has anyone recently stayed at either property? Are there other properties within walking distance of the convention center that I should research? I need to be in a location that is safe for a woman traveling alone. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Aug 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Also, what is the most cost efficient transportation from the airport to the convention center area?
Aug 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM

Both hotels are very close. However, I would chose Wyndham Riverfront. It is directly across the street from the convention center. In addition, you could use the back entrance to dine at Fulton Street restaurants.

I think the airport shuttle is the most cost efficient airport transfer (may about $15). I stops to pickup / drop off other hotel guest in the area. The taxi will cost about $30.
Aug 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM

The Hilton is attached to the convention center via a mall - you don't have to go outside at all. Don't know the other hotels.
Aug 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

The Staybridge has decent room rates. It also gets good reviews. How far of a walk is it to the convention center? Is it in a safe area? Thanks.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Any comments on Staybridge or the "W" regarding quality, safety, and walking distance to the convention center?
Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Renaissance Arts Hotel is very close to the Convention Center and is very nice. The area is fantastic, with Emeril's around the corner and the Julia St. art galleries a block away.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it is sold out. Any feedback on the Staybridge or "W"?
Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM

You may also check w/the folks having the convention. Many times they will offer pickup points (primarily) in & around the Quarter.
Aug 5th, 2009, 12:28 AM

I'm don't know anything about the Staybridge. The W is a little farther down Poydra St. than the Hilton. If you compare the distance of the walk through the Riverwalk mall, the W hotel is only 1 extra block. The W is a fun / hip hotel, because people tend to hang out at the Whiskey Blue Bar. However, the rooms are terribly small. If that distance doesn't bother you, I would recommend staying at Loews. Its a much nicer hotel directly across the street from the W.

To address your concerns about safety, you are very safe within those Downtown and Warehouse district areas. They are probably the safest areas in the city. I would be extra careful during the night hours (as you would walking alone in any urban city). Remain on major streets like Convention Center and Poydras Streets. And SAnParis2 has a great point, many convention, especially the large ones, offer a shuttle service from the nearby hotels.
Aug 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Also, doesn't the Riverfront street car line go to the convention center? If so, that means you could stay at any hotel in the FQ within a couple blocks of the streetcar line and ride the streetcar.
Aug 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Loews is too pricey but looks wonderful!! Which FQ hotels are recommended on or close to the street car line? How long does it take to get from the FQ to the convention center by rail? I booked a room at the Hilton Riverside that can be cancelled w/out penalty at $229 per night. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible but want a nice room in a safe and convenient location.