New Orleans Convention Center hotels

May 31st, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

New Orleans Convention Center hotels

I've tried searching but there's very little about hotels in this area. DH and I are attending the Am. Public Health Assoc. meeting in NOLA in November. We plan to stay for 3-4 days after the end of the conference, since it's our first visit.

The convention hotels are clustered around three areas, from what I can tell on their map:
Convention Center: Courtyard, Embassy, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Marriott
Near FQ: Courtyard Downtown, NO Marriott, JW Marriott, Sheraton
Kind of in-between area??: Ambassador, Loews, Doubletree

Obviously, the ones near the Conv. Ctr. are more convenient to the conference, but I wonder about the desirability of the location vs. closer to the FQ.

Opinions appreciated!
May 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Fairhope

The convention center is only a stone's throw from the FQ--all these hotels, if they are around the CC. will be within walking distance. Yahoo travel maps some of these

May 31st, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Fairhope! I do have a map with all the hotels marked on it, but it's kind of hard to estimate distances since I've never been there. I guess my concern was how nice/pleasant/convenient the Conv. Center area is, compared with FQ.
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:12 AM
Fairhope

Actually that area is fine but of course you are not in THE FQ. Canal is a large city street that bisects the con. area from the FQ at the River. At the end of it, you have the aquarium, the ferry dock, the plaza where the boats are, the Riverwalk, and the CC. If you stayed in a hotel on the FQ side of Canal you would be in the middle of things, with all of the FQ in walking distance and easy access to the CC but even down the block at the Fairmont you are fine.
There are many many discussions here so put "new Orleans hotels" in the search block and get hundreds of ideas--do the same for "restaurants".
There are several great posters like Dan and Neworleanslady who will answer your ??

Jun 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Fairhope

If you are not tied to the Convention hotels OR are willing to move for the extra nights in NO, you might want to get a better flavor of NO by staying in the FQ. I would suggest a courtyard hotel/ B&B with a 1st floor room on the courtyard. The weather that time of year is fabulous and a drink--tea of course--outside will put you in the FQ frame of mind. I have stayed in the NO Sheraton and Fairmont numerous times and let's face it they are just hotels. There are hotels in the FQ that are 7-10 min walks to the CC. The distance to Canal and Bourbon intersection is a 5 min walk to the outside of CC.

Jun 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

That's a great idea, Fairhope. It would combine convenience for the first few days and the charm of the city for the rest. I don't think we're B&B people, though . I actually prefer the anonimity of a large hotel. But I'll certainly consider your suggestion! Thanks for your ideas and your time .