New Orleans Restaurants

May 25th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

New Orleans Restaurants

In New Orleans for two nights for husbands 40th birthday. Need suggestions for dinner and lunch. For dinner I am leaning toward, Nolas, Mr.B's & Jacques Imos. Lunch just Acme Oyster House, any others? Staying in FQ.
May 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM

We're going in July (been several times before and considering Mr. B's and Jacques Imos as well - we always go to Acme for lunch one day. We went to NOLA last trip and thought it was really great (we'd go again but want to try some new places). Mothers is good for lunch. I love Commander's Palace for dinner and we enjoyed the jazz room at Arnaud's as well. When are you going? Be sure to post a trip report when you get back - since you are considering some of the same restaurants we are I'm curious to hear what you think. Oh, I've been told Dick & Jenny's is supposed to be very good, but it is not in FQ. We're also planning to try Brigsten's this time around.
May 25th, 2005, 09:11 AM

It was a few years ago, but I checked the website and they are still in business so here is my recommendation.

I loved GW Fins. It's in the quarter and was fabulous. I still think about the apple pie with a cheesestraw crust and homemade vanilla ice cream. They also had fabulous "biscuits". It had a southern twist on new cuisine.

I also agree with snowrooster about Mothers for lunch.
May 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Kal

Fedri's Special w/ debris at Mothers.....yummmmmmm.

Petunia's, Muriel's, Bayona...

Man! We gotta get back there!
May 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM

A special restaurant for a special day such as a big birthday is Broussard's. A dinner there is an experience in New Orleans cuisine that you will never forget. It's located in the FQ and they will even take dinner reservations over the net. Good luck.
May 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM

I lovvvvvvvvvvve Bayonna- the Susan Spicer restaurant in the French Quarter.
She is one of the great chefs of New Orleans..

The restaurant is very romantic and the food is to die for!

Read this review of it:
http://neworleans.citysearch.com/profile/4423906/
May 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Kal

Loved the courtyard at Bayonna. Very romantic. Especially on a cool, fall night.
May 25th, 2005, 07:26 PM

You've already gotten some great recs, but I wanted to second Dick & Jenny's - it's fabulous. Other great restaurants to try would be Brigtsen's and Peristyle.
May 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Dick & Jenny's is fabulous.
Two of my favorite restaurants in the Quarter are GW Fin's and Stella! And Commander's Palace is always wonderful -- I just ate there last night, actually! Any of these would be great for a birthday dinner; Commander's would probably be the most special in my book b/c they spoil you so much with the fantastic service. For lunch, I'd go to Mr. B's or NOLA, or a funky place like Elizabeth's (not open Sunday), Blue Plate Cafe, or Surrey's.
May 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM

Recently returned from Jazz Festival.
Didn't see K-Paul's listed here. It's wasn't open for lunch one day we wanted to dine, so you might verify their hours of operation.

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen
416 Chartres St.
(504) 524-7394

The courtyard at Gumbo Shop is not overdone, but nice for a lunch.
May 26th, 2005, 04:23 AM

In the Quarter for dinner, Bayona is my favorite. also irene's cuisine, the Pelican Club, and the Bob Ton Cafe.
For lunch, Mother's is still great. I would suggest taking the Canal st. trolley down to Mandina's for a real treat. Brigtsen's is wonderful& well worth the cab ride.
May 27th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Irenes Cuisine is agreat italian restuanat in the quarter and you have to go to Jacques Imos and i would try Camelia grill for lunch or breakfast.
May 27th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Oh the paneed oysters at Irene's and the planked redfish at Nola......sigh!!! Perhaps a gtg in the fall Kal? Been years.
May 27th, 2005, 08:23 AM

We had a lot of fun at the Alpine restaurant in the quarter, especially with the Spanish coffees after dinner; the waitress put on a show while making them (complete with flaming the glasses)! It was so good, we ate there twice during our three-day stay.
May 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Dan

One of my worst meals in New Orleans was the Alpine. Horrible atmosphere, dark and dank, bad wait staff. No thanks!
May 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM

No mention of Galatoire's? Galatoire's is one of the best restaurants in the world. Go on a Friday afternoon, sit downstairs and watch the locals eat and drink the afternoon away. Eavesrop on everyone. The conversation will amaze you. It is THE local place on Friday afternoons. Great for people watching and studying. I know, I am an ex local.

Get out of the Vieux Carré/French quarter. Go up Magazine Street. Take the streetcar:

Commander's, Bayonna, Manale's Uptown, Camillia Grill on Carrollton late night for a mocha freeze.
May 28th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Galatoires, eh?
It didn't make the Top 50 list on Fodor's . . . What's that worth, anyway?
May 28th, 2005, 05:14 AM
myo

Irene's Cuisine - in the quarter -
539 St. Phillips Street
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Ther piano bar is wonderful and the food is fabulous! If you are up for a 87 item brunch buffet: Court of 2 Sisters. You'll be in a food coma afterwards, but it is worth it!
May 28th, 2005, 05:40 AM

My personal favorite, Marisol, just received a DiRoNA Award. (Distiguished Restaurants of North America) I think their courtyard is very romantic, the food & service excellent, and as an added bonus, it's a short walk to the Spotted Cat for jazz afterwards! They are located at 437 Esplanade Avenue.
May 28th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Kal

g'lou,
Luvvit!

We do have a few NOLA regulars that would be fun to meet.

We'll keep ya'lll posted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO