New Orleans - Commanders Palace

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans - Commanders Palace

Hi, myself and my boyfriend are visiting New Orleans in June. After reading various reviews I would like to book up to go to Commanders Palace for dinner one evening. The question is, does my boyfriend have to wear a jacket? We are on a fly drive and it's not practical to take smart jackets with us. We would obviously not turn up in shorts or denim, but wondered whether smart trousers and long sleeved shirt would be OK for him? Also, do they have different dining rooms, which one in your opinion is the nicest? Thanking you in advance!
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Dan

Commander's has loosened their dress code and last week wasn't requiring jackets although they ARE encouraged. I'd call them directly, though. They may be "testing" this and it's not policy yet.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'll give them a call and ask. We're travelling from the UK, and I'd be disappointed if we couldn't get in there after all the preparation!
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Dan

From the UK, just e-mail them.

I am having 40 people there for lunch this week (wedding) so I can also ask then.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:43 AM

I think you'll really enjoy it. We always wore a jacket but the best thing is to call or email & check since you are coming from the UK.

We like the garden room the best. It is enclosed & has plants & looks out onto the courtyard area. The air conditioning is needed in the summer.

If you like chocolate desserts then check to see if they have the chocolate fudge Sheba. That was my favorite. Very chocolate!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Dan, that would be very kind if you could remember to ask! Can't find an actual email address on their site so I'll use their comments/feedback page.

Great, the Garden Room. Sounds like exactly what we are looking for. Yes, I must admit we are both rather partial to chocolate! I will be looking for that on the menu. Many thanks!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Hey Charley,
How about lunch? The food and the service are just as incredible and the dress code is more relaxed. Also, you won't be spending quite as much $$$.

I fell in love with Commander's years ago and hve never been disappointed.

Enjoy,
Kim
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kim, I have thought about doing lunch there but...we both like to eat a big meal in the evening and not so much for lunch. After being warned about the portion sizes in the States I don't think I could eat a big lunch and dinner!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I've just had a very nice email back from Commanders Palace. They have informed me that jackets are no longer required, so that's a bit of luck! After all the good reviews I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for all your input.
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:55 PM

This is weird. We made reservations yesterday (may 13) and were told that men were expected to wear jackets. I am going to check again.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:55 PM

One warning about the Commander's Palace: don't fill up on the fabulous bread or you won't have room for your meal!
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

That is strange about the jacket. We were told smart clothes were OK without a jacket.

Have noted the comment about the bread!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:44 AM

This is a late reply but good for anyone wanting info on the dress code at Commanders Palace. We went and it was quite fancy. Everyone was dressed with at least a jacket and a lot of women, myself included, had on floor length dresses and gowns. That being said, a nice cocktail dress for ladies and a blue sports jacket for men works just fine.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Floor length dresses and gowns??? I've been going to Commander's Palace for over 40 years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone that dressed up. For years, men were required to wear a coat at dinner - not lunch - but as Dan said, that rule has apparently been relaxed.

I wear nice pants and my husband has always worn a coat, not because it's required but because it's his preference.

You definitely don't need to wear a cocktail dress. New Orleans will be hot and humid and people will be dressed more casually than they are in the winter months.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Thank you SusanCS, We are planning to go to Commander's for lunch and I was getting a little worried. I wasn't planning on packing a floor length gown. [like I own one] LOL.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:00 PM

A few words from a long-time Commander's Palace patron. First, the restaurant, though still good, is not as good as it was in the past and is much more inconsistent. Having said that, I still go every time I am in NO (which is quite a lot) because it is such a great atmosphere.

The Garden Room is very nice if it is still daylight.... after that, all the rooms are fine. I believe they have jackets to loan you (if you feel uncomfortable without one, but at this time of the year if you can avoid wearing one you will be much happier - - very, very hot in summer).

Foodwise. Pre-entree: Eat as much of the little sliced bread that they give you at the beginning of the meal, because once your appetizers are finished it is taken away. For appetizers, try (trust me) the Turtle Soup (their specialty). It should be fantastic unless the Chef is having a very off day.

For Dessert, you have to try the Bread Pudding Souffle. Trust me, this a delicious course (and I hate bread pudding). Light, rich and delicious. Order one to share along with your chocolate desserts. You won't be dissappointed.

Last, go for a jazz brunch instead of dinner. The same food, but better prices and so so beautiful. Although more touristy than in the past, the locals still love the brunch also. Drink a mint julep at the bar before your meal and delight in the way they make it. Slow, carefully and very well.

Enjoy and let us know how it is.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:11 PM

For the Jazz Brunch is there a prix fixe menu or can you order ala carte from the regular menu also.

I checked the website and it looks like the Jazz Brunch is $33 per person. I just wondered what the options are. Thanks! Laurie
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM

Laurie, the restaurant will not advertise that you can order from the regular menu, but you generally can order most of the items off of their regular menu if you just ask the waiter. My suggestion is when you first get there is to ask to see that evenings menu and see if there are some items that you are truly head over heels for. Then, after you review the brunch menu, you can request that item specifically from the waiter instead of having him/her have to make it too public what they are doing for you. It has always worked for me in the past. Good eating.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the information,erousseau11!

We made our reservations for Commander's Palace and I think we will enjoy the Jazz Brunch. Laurie
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:58 AM

No problem. I really hope you love it. Bring requests for Jazz songs and a $5 to $20 in tipping money because a 3 man jazz group walk around and play on request music. They are actually reasonably good and it is soooo hard sometimes to think of a request on the fly. You don't have to request a song and if you don't request one you don't have to tip, but if you do, I want you to be prepared. If not, just sit back, eat and enjoy everyone elses requests. It isn't a problem either way. Also, visit the main page of Fodor's site and click on "The Blog", scroll down and see that there is an article about the top 100 restaurants in N.O. Click on the link and look at the one for Commanders. I think you will be pleased. Enjoy, and don't forget the Creole Bread Pudding Souffle, it really is great.