New Orleans after Christmas/ST Roch

Nov 10th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

New Orleans after Christmas/ST Roch

We will be spending 4 nights in NOLA, staying in the garden district with our adult children. Our entire family is interested in my husband's family history and deep New Orleans roots. We would like to visit the St Roch Cemetery, the old Holy Trinity Church, and St Roch market. because of the importance of these places in my husband's family. I know it is not the safest neighborhood so we are not sure if we should go for a visit. I know the St Roch chapel is under construction. I would appreciate any advice. It is the first time our children will be back in New Orleans since they are over 21 yrs, the last time was the week before Katrina. We promised them one really nice dinner and brunch...open for suggestions? I know we will go to the Roosevelt hotel to see the lights and most likely will go to City Park. We plan on going to see the Mardi Gras floats. Everything is up in the air at this time. I want to plan our nice night out so we can make reservations. Thanks
Nov 11th, 2019, 09:07 AM

The St. Roch Market is now an upscale food court - great for lunch or a quick dinner. FWIW, we walked from there to Frenchmen Street and didn’t encounter any safety issues.

As for dinners, I recommend Saba very highly. Also, Costera especially since you’re staying in the Garden District.
Nov 11th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on ST Roch market. My husbands great-great grandfather ran the market for 25 years in the 1880's.
Nov 11th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Does Commander's Palace still have a great rep?

In the way back when, we enjoyed a plantation tour.

Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets were a requirement when we were there.
Nov 12th, 2019, 06:10 AM

We used to entertain a lot when Commander's Palace was hot, but I never fell in love with it. Before CP the "it" restaurants customers wanted to go to were Antoine's and Arnaud's.

My pick would be Bayona. I checked recent reviews to see if they were still good and it seems so -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Louisiana.html

I also love the BBQ shrimp at Pascal's Manale, but that's a taxi ride away and not as picturesque as most NOLA restaurants. I do love it though.
https://pascalsmanale.com/history/
(I have them pull the heads of the shrimp first, which is scandalous in New Orleans).

I totally agree about Cafe du Monde. I was shocked to learn there are drive-thrus at other locatons outside of the city. Shocked, but stopped!
Nov 12th, 2019, 07:16 AM

We we were really looking forward to dinner at Bayona a few years ago and it was simply ordinary. We returned a few years later and the experience was the same. It’s off our list. (FWIW, I’m not a huge CP fan either).

Since were here discussing NO restaurants, I thought you’d both enjoy seeing this - the menu from Antoine’s, summer if 1963.

Nov 12th, 2019, 07:29 AM

That's why I checked recent reviews. It seems to be really good again.
In any case, just one suggestion.

I ate often at A's and/or A's in the late 80s when both were a Really Big Deal. I've not been back on expense account in a few years. Maybe I need to fix that.

Well I was, but too tired to go into the FQ - so ate at a very inexpensive Cajun restaurant in Metarie (recommended by a travel friend) with a stop at a nearby Cafe du Monde after.
Louisiana Purchase Kitchen

Last edited by starrs; Nov 12th, 2019 at 07:35 AM.