COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotels: St-Roch or Londres St-Honore

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Hotels: St-Roch or Londres St-Honore

Hi
anyone have any first-hand info on these hotels? Fodors has a little on on the Londres but nothing on its sister hotel the St-Roch. I've done the searches here. Both are on rue St Roch in the 1st.
Tripadvisor has a few comments, but not much.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

that's Paris, of course
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM

This is a blast from the past for me! We stayed at both these places on trips to Paris in the 1970's. The Rue St. Roch is a charming street with a beautiful church across the street from the hotels. The Londres et Stockholm is a little bigger, and I remember it as somewhat nicer--typical budget hotel, but we liked the location. Near the Louvre, the Marche St. Honore, etc.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I know the area, have stayed on rue St Roch before and I like it very much, but the hotels I know there are too pricey for me for this particular trip.

I guess the Londres St Honore has been renamed. Looking for more recent experiences, but thanks for responding.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that I stayed in one of these in 1996, but I can't remember which. The tourist office in one of the train stations reserved it for me. I can probably look it up if you really want to know.

I remember that it was fairly cheap (around 300 FF at that time). I had a room in the attic, sort of, with a sloping roof. It was very basic and a bit like the hotel where I stayed this time, but it might have been nicer. A lot could have changed in eight years, of course. I don't remember much of it. It was my very first trip to Paris and I got there late on a Saturday and left the following evening (I took the Eurostar from London).
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM

I was actually thinking of trying one of these again for the trip I just took, but I think that the rooms are now more expensive and I thought I'd just try something different.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi 111op
tripadvisor has a couple of positives but also one or two negative or so-so reviews on the Londres, one review mentioned that the sister hotel St-Roch is slightly nicer. Just can't seem to find out much. As you know I
too am looking for budget-minded accomodations on this trip, and I love this location, but I don't want depressing or shabby. In the meantime I've faxed the hotels. The Londres has singles in the 66-92 euro range, depending on size.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Hi elaine, I'll check to see if I can find the records somewhere. I remember seeing the receipt from that hotel (!) in one of my boxes. So if I can dig it out tonight I'll post here tomorrow.

Did you look at Tiquetonne? It sounds very basic, but the reviews at tripadvisor are mostly quite positive (the popularity rating was very high, if I recall). Also Hotel Vivienne sounds nice. Both are even cheaper, so they're probably very basic. I wanted to give Vivienne a try but it was booked. Tiquetonne was closed completely in August, so I decided not to bother.

Anyway, I must say that I can rough it if I need to. I did find the hotel I stayed in 1996 better than Lille/Pelican, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend these hotels to someone else unless they're also willing to make a couple of concessions, if that makes sense. I mean, ultimately as long as there's a bed and the toilet works, I guess I can function (as much as I prefer light, etc.). And of course location is paramount for me.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking into the Vivienne, thanks for the tip. It does have an elevator I see. I'm having a little trouble finding rue Vivienne exactly on the map I have handy, but I've got it narrowed down between Palais Royale, Place des Victoires, and the National Library.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Hi elaine, this site has some very nice maps:

http://www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com/

It takes a while to get used to, but once you know how to use it, it will give you a very precise location on an associated map.

I think that Vivienne may be listed here.

Vivienne is near the Bourse, if I recall -- isn't it on rue Vivienne? I think that the southern end is near the covered passage, but the hotel is near the northern end of the street. I'm just saying this based on my recollection when I did my research -- don't take it as gospel.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Here:

http://www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com/...%3D&language=1

It's even further north of the Bourse (click see map).
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM

By the way, if you end up there, you'll be near Aux Lyonnais (on St Marc) -- it could be a little too far north though.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for the map reference, you're right, further north than I thought (hoped)
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM

We stayed at the St. Roch in 1996. I don't remember it being anything special but the price was right for a last-minute trip.

The hotel is very small, has a one-person type elevator. They served a continental breakfast and I remember the room feeling like it was in the attic, but it was a good size and so was the bathroom, although the furnishings had seen better days. The front desk was not the friendliest, but that may have changed in the past 8 years.

It is on a tiny street in a terrific location. We just loved the 1st...just a short walk from the Louvre, Tuilleries and Rue de Rivoli and near a metro stop. And the Church of St. Roch on the corner is nothing to look at from the outside, but magnificent inside. A chorus was rehearsing for a concert and we stepped inside to hear the most memorable voices of angels singing in the night...one of our fondest memories of Paris.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Hi elaine, I've found a card for the hotel I stayed in. I'm not sure if this is one of the two you're looking at though.

I stayed at Hotel de Londres et de Stockholm (300, rue St.-Honore, but enter at 13, rue St-Roch, 42 60 15 62).

This was in 1996 and my receipt said I paid 305 FF.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks, that's now the Londres St-Honore, address listed as 13 rue St Roch.

Oh for the days of good $50 Paris hotel rooms.

I've found another hotel, called just the Saint-Honore (no 'Royal' or any other words in its name), at 85 rue St-H. Can't find any recent comments on that one either, it appears to be pretty well east near the Chatelet metro stop which makes it lose points for me. Not sure it has an elevator either.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:57 AM

It's this one here, I think. I looked into it:

http://www.123france.com/123/en/hotel.php?id_hot=482

I tried to book it with 123france, but they never got back to me (I'm not sure I understand how the site works). It's probably listed on the other site I gave you as well.

I did a search for it on this forum and there were one or two old comments from 2001 or 2002. One person said that it could be noisy in the early morning or something. Try searching for it and see if you can find something.

The location seems pretty decent (to me, but I guess not to you).

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:59 AM

By the way, I guess you want to stay in the 1st or the 2nd Arrs? There're obviously budget options elsewhere too -- but granted, I didn't investigate them much myself. For my recent trip, I knew that I wanted the Right Bank.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm going solo this time, and since I've most often stayed in the 1st and know it best, including several stays on rue St Roch, it seems it might be a little comforting to me to stay there again even in a no-frills hotel.

I'm still considering the St-Jacques in the 5th, or the Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais,though and both look charming so far. Just depends if I want to force myself to be slightly more adventurous or go with the familiarity. Thanks for the info and the interest.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:25 AM

It's true, 1st is very central. But I actually spent quite a lot of time in the Marais this past visit, so that would've worked fine as well. As you know, line 1 connects these areas anyway. I actually walked past Jeanne d'Arc this time. I think that you mentioned that you've not seen a bad comment about it. It looks nice enough from the outside.

In any case, good luck with finding the hotel you want!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO