Search

New Mexico Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mexico Advice?

I'm planning a road trip in November to the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge to see the sand cranes. Afterwards, I plan short stops at Santa Fe and Taos on my way to Durango. Coming in, I'll be on I-40 to Winslow then down US-180 and US-60 to Soccoro.

Are there any little known sights or activities not too far off my planned routes I out to see?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

I presently live outside Durango and lived in ABQ area for 5 years.

I'll get back to you on this..have lots of suggestions. Trying to get ready for houseguest and just got home yesterday. Email me directly if you'd like.

Debi
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM

West of Socorro off US 60 is the Nat'l Radio Astronomy Observatory (Very Large Array) where part of movie Contact was filmed. White Sands Nat'l Monument and Three Rivers Petroglyph areas are west of Socorro near Alamogordo if you want to go that far south.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. Debi, Since I have plenty of time, I'll wait for awhile to e-mail you so as not to interfere with the visit from your guest.

Don
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM

>>White Sands Nat'l Monument and Three Rivers Petroglyph areas are west of Socorro near Alamogordo if you want to go that far south.<<

They are *southeast* of Socorro, not west.

I can't give a personal recommendation, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Pie-O-Neer Cafe in Pie Town. Do stop and enjoy some pie!

Bosque del Apache is lovely in November. Unless you're a veteran birder, see if you can get a guide to take you around. We saw a lot of birds we wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Afterwards, stop at the Owl Cafe in San Antonio for a green chile cheeseburger.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

Check out the Chaco canyon nat.park.The road there is awful but it's worth the trouble.PAul
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Health issues caused me to cancel the trip in 2007 but I am finally going week after next. This trip will only be to Socorro and Bosque del Apache and not to Durango or Santa Fe.

My early mornings and late afternoons will be dedicated to photography in the wildlife refuge. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to see or do during the middle of the day around Socorro or the refuge?
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to see or do during the middle of the day around Socorro or the refuge?

We've been to Bosque a few times ... usually mid-day you download the memory cards, grab a leisurely lunch, check emails etc ... not a lot to do in downtown Socorro mid-day (or early day or late day or night).

The local college does have a pond behind the main building where there are often a lot of gadwalls that you can photograph up close. This is best mornings after you finish at Bosque because the building blocks early light. Take the road between the KFC and Taco Bell until it ends (curves left) and you'll be close.

Here's some pics we took Bosque trips the past few years to give you an idea. The gadwall shots came from the college ...
http://www.pbase.com/hilton_photography/bosque (good weather)
http://www.pbase.com/hilton_photography/feather (if it's too overcast to photograph normally)

And here's a portfolio from someone who spent months there and is a really talented photographer:
http://www.pbase.com/gpc/birdsbosque

Maybe we'll see you there ...

Bill
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Oops, I screwed that up ... not gadwalls in the pond, but rather American wigeons, which you won't see at Bosque ...
http://www.pbase.com/hilton_photography/image/89463626

Here's a map of the college ... http://www.nmt.edu/about/snaps/tour/map/CampusMap03.htm ... the building I mentioned is the Macey Center, shown as # 29 in the upper right near the golf course.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Bill - thanks for the great links and information. If you don't mind my asking, what focal length lens did you use for the filled frame images?

I hope I'll see you there. I'll be the slightly overweight old guy driving the silver Chevy HHR with Nevada plates.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM

If you have not already selected a hotel in Santa Fe, have a look at this. We fell into it about a month ago when we had an overnight stop there. It's a few miles outside the Plaza, but it was the most adorable, historic little place. If you stay, get one of the older rooms (they are completely refurbished, but have a charm that the modern rooms don't have).

http://www.elreyinnsantafe.com/index.html
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM

what focal length lens did you use for the filled frame images?

Glad you enjoyed them ... 500 mm f/4 with 1.4x t/c on a 1.3x crop body is the ticket. If you have a 1.6x body you can skip the t/c. Helps if you have a steady window mount since often you use the car as a blind, but there are also places like the Farm Fields and the big impoundments where you can use a tripod.

One other place that *might* be interesting (dunno for sure, we will be trying to get access next week) is the BLM's Bordo Atravesado Wild Horse Area, the only place in NM with wild horses. There's an office in Socorro where you can get info (I assume). We found these driving directions, but I don't know if you can just drive out there without a permit, or the condition of the roads:

US 380 12 miles east from San Antonio (town just north of Bosque)
North on Country Rd 2112 for 9 miles
East for about 4 miles to the SW boundary of the HMA

Also, VLA is about an hour west, maybe photograph at Bosque in the AM and if you have an extra afternoon free go to VLA and maybe stop in Magdalena as well.

Maybe we'll see you there

Bill
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM

The Casa Blanca B&B in San Antonio New Mexico, close to Soccorro, caters to birders on the Bosque. You'll find like-minded people and good information on the local sights there. In Soccorro, go to the square to find a good brew pub and an art gallery featuring Doug West's work. The VLA is not to be missed. The nearby Salt missions are another interesting day trip. Outside Santa Fe, Tent Rocks natural area and the Shidoni Foundry are well worth a visit. All can be found on-line or post again if you want additional information.

Have a great trip! Saige
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm back from this trip with over 1,000 photos from the refuge and a couple from the VLA. Thanks everyone for the information and help. It was a good trip with superb, if somewhat cold weather.

I'll get some photos and a trip report posted within a few days.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM

Great! I'm looking forward to your trip report.

Lee Ann