Notices

New Mexico Itinerary

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Mexico Itinerary

I've used input from this forum to try to improve the New Mexico part of our trip.

We will drive into New Mexico after three nights in Tucson. Our route includes White Sands NP, Cloudcroft, and Lincoln. After a night in Ruidoso Downs, we will drive into Albuquerque via the Turquoise Trail (Mountainair to Tijeras).

After one night in Albuquerque, we will drive the scenic route to Taos.

We will spend one night in Taos and then drive to Santa Fe via Questa, Angel Fire, etc.--the Enchanted Circle..

While in Santa Fe for three nights we will also visit Bandelier NM, Los Alamos, Pecos National Historic Park, and nearby pueblos.

After Santa Fe we will spend two nights in each of these places: Canyon de Chelly, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona. We will visit friends in Scottsdale before returning home to Seattle.

PS We have been to Carlsbad Caverns once and to Santa Fe and Taos three times. We have never been to White Sands NP and the area surrounding it.

Comments, please.

HTTY
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will say it again here-- you are shortchanging yourselves by spending so little time in ABQ.

Since you have already spent time in SF and Taos, [and truly not much changes in either place] I really think that you are missing some really memorable places in ABQ.

OK, that's all from me.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too far from Mountainaire, west on 60 is Salinas Pueblo, a ruin that would be a short stop on your way there.

I've only been on the Turquoise Trail between Tijeras and Santa Fe, but you can go up to Sandia Peak from the back side and get the over look of Albuquerque and have lunch. There are lots of artists shops along this route, some built in cabins that were miner's housing years ago.

If you go back to I 40 and then north from Gallup to go to Canyon de Chelley, you could stop at el Morro/Inscription Rock on the way and also Window Rock and Hubble Trading Post. Do get a guide to take you into CdC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you are in Ruidoso, take in Lincoln County, which is nearby. I went there recently and was really pleasantly surprised by all the history there. This was the hangout of Billy the Kid and his gang, and the whole story is really engrossing. Aside from that, the town is just as it was way back when, and it shows how people lived in the old west a long time ago. It is a ball.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>Not too far from Mountainair, west on 60 is Salinas Pueblo, a ruin that would be a short stop on your way there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a good trip with NM, Jemez Mountains are pretty sweet too, plus they have the hot springs. Grasshoppers landing is nice to stop at between Flagstaff on the hwy that goes to Sedona. Canyon de Chelly, you have to walk down to the White House ruins which is a mile in at one part of it.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted on your Hilton thread and only afterward thought to look for an itinerary one.

The "Salinas Pueblo" ruin that emalloy and Lee Ann mention is actually Abó, one of three units of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument. Abó and Quarai (on SR 55 north of Mountainair) include the stunning red sandstone ruins of Spanish mission churches.

Gran Quivira, south of Mountainair on SR 55, is made of white stone (I can't remember what kind) and includes ruins of both the pueblo and the uncompleted mission church. Personally, I prefer the more dramatic coloring of Abó and especially Quarai, if I remember correctly, but Gran Quivira is a larger site.

http://www.nps.gov/sapu/index.htm
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. We enjoyed the Salinas Pueblo Missions (especially Quarai) and an unexpectedly delicious lunch in the Pueblo Deco dining room at Shaffer Hotel in Mountainaire.

HTTY
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great, htty! I hadn't been to Quarai until Mr. Pickle's group sang there last September.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you said you've been to Carlsbad. If you haven't seen the bats, then it would certainly be worth your effort. If you are adventurous, do a Wild Cave Tour. Hall of the White Giants or Spider Cave are the best. You need to make reservations well in advance for these, as they only take 8 people per week to each of these places. Very cool.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure where you would squeeze this in, but Chaco Culture National Historical Center is well worth the drive. http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

While you are at Canyon de Chelly do one of the guided tours into the canyon.

Utahtea