new england seacost trip in may

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

new england seacost trip in may

Thinking of a trip before Memorial Day to the New England seacoast--possibly Portsmouth or Portland. Planning to stay 6 days there so want to do daytrips from a central base. Since my friend whom I will meet there will be driving, I will probably be relying on public transport or taxis. Which would be more interesting as far as historic New England seaport towns? Thanks.

Lil
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Both are great to visit but I am partial to Portsmouth. Don't forget, Portsmouth is also home to Strawbery Banke. We love the drive from there out Rt 1B thru Newcastle which probably hasn't changed much in 200 years. This will also take you past the historic and recently renovated Wentworth-by-the-Sea hotel. You can take narrated cruises of the harbor or inland rivers. Both will cover some history. In Portsmouth you are also close enough to make a day trip to someplace like Salem, MA (visit the Peabody Essex Musuem). Portland could be a day trip, too. Another fascinating day trip would be Canterbury Shaker Village, near Concord NH. Probably about an hour's drive but for interest and scenery take Rt 4. Mapquest will probably tell you to take Rt 101 but it's boring. I think 6 days is long for Portsmouth but not if you do day trips.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:42 AM

I would stay in Portsmouth...check out Wentworth By the Sea...very nice. Then you are centrally located to do a daytrip north to Maine and a few others to the south, such as Rockport and Boston.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Agree Portsmouth might be good base - as depending on the weather Rhode Island, Marthas Vineyard may be warmer or even dryer. I live in Southern Maine - our temps are way off track right now - anyways - if stillinterested in coast off Maine Good ole ROUTE 1 is always good start
coming from Portsmouth you can take side trips into York Harbor to Ogunquit then Kennebunkport - PORTLAND has a great OLD PORT shopping eating lodgin area as well ( some stay here and trou from this area).
NOrth of course if Freeport and then Boothbay Harbor up to Csmden and Rockland are on the way to Bar Harbor and Mt Desert Island. All small towns for shopping and staying along the way . PTLD also has the CAt which can hydroplane you with your vehicle to NOVA Scotia and then one can drive to PRINCE EDWAR ISland and back into the states in Calise MAINE (Nice trip) lots of lighthouses...
May will probably be good time as less tourist with weather - Most of MAINE truelly opens JUNE JULY AUGUST with tourism. Have fun
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Since it's still early, not sure when my friend will show up--is 2-3 days too long to explore either w/o a car? What is the public transport situation in either Portland or Portsmouth?

BTW, any suggestions for a good area to stay in either? Thanks.

Lil
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:06 AM

There is a great B&B with spa - Portsmouth Harbor Inn in Kittery Maine, but just over a bridge to Portsmouth. You can stroll into Portsmouth easily from there. There are food places you can get to by walking and the spa has great services for pampering yourself! You could easily do a few days with no car staying there!