maine coast towns--need help

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maine coast towns--need help

We have never been to Maine and would like to see the coastal cities. Which towns are the most quaint and charming? We will be driving (next fall) from Concord, NH on our way to the coast. Should we stay in Portsmouth and do day trips to see Kennbunkport and Camden or should first stay 2 nights in Camden then drive down through cities on our way to either Rockport or Marblehead, MA?

We will not be involved in any activities such as hiking or sailing, just sightseeing with our dog. We're hoping to find dog friendly comfortable accommodations which are not apart of a chain.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM

In the fall, from Concord, I'd stay inland and take a scenic drive down to wolfeboro or NH lakes region, cut over to Acton Maine lakes region, down through Sanford to Ogunquit. Ogunquit is great for day trips to Portsmouth and Kennebunkport. The shore drive between Ogunquit, down through York and Kittery Point, hugging the water, is a great meandering drive. Another day you could go from Ogunquit through Kennebunkport an onward to Cape Porpoise, a classic coastal village.
High Tide Inn is a nice pet-friendly place near Camden, but it is not near the main drag with shops and dining.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 08:22 AM

I know there are pet friendly places in Maine. A friend and her mom take their goldens to a hotel in Maine. I would look at accomodations. I just tried the Dunes in Oqunquit website and didn't see anything about pets. I would also check Glenmoor by the Sea in Lincolnville just north of Camden because they are also on a large property where you and your pup could enjoy walking around. If the weather is good you might also eat on your deck or like at the Dunes, an outdoor table. Can't think of a hotel in Portsmouth that has those kind of grounds.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM

Do you mean Portsmouth, NEW MAMPSHIRE, or PORTLAND, Maine?

~Liz
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM

aarrgghh.

New Hanpshire...
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of driving from Woodstock, Vt through Wolfeboro. But should we go north to Camden or stay around Portsmouth, NH?

should we include Camden for 1 nights,

Or

Camden 2 nights and Portsmouth 1 night or skip Camden?