NEW ENGLAND UPCOMING TRIP

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM
mub

NEW ENGLAND UPCOMING TRIP

Author: mub ([email protected])
Date: 08/08/2002, 11:10 am
Message: Am planning an 8 day trip to New England in late Sept. Having never been to that area of the country am looking for interesting "must sees". We fly into Manchester, NH and plan to go to the White Mountains from there and stop across the border in Maine to spend the night before heading to Bar Harbor the following day.
Does this sound sensible? what town would be sort of a mid-way point from the White Mtns to Bar Harbor? Any suggestions?
How long should we allow in Bar Harbor before heading to southern coast of Maine and south of Boston area?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Donna F

Late Sept is the beginning of foliage season. I think considering what time you might be arriving and the time to drive a little bit of the White Mountains, that you should stay in the NH area. Just crossing the border over into Maine will take you from heavy tourist area to very rural, not much there part of Maine. It will take about an hour to drive from Conway to Portland ME if you go Rt 25 but I think you would really miss out seeing how beautiful it is in the mountains when you get up in the morning and feel more relaxed.You could take Rt 2 over to Bangor but don't expect exciting scenery. You've only got 8 days so what you do next depends on what you will be doing. If you want hiking, stay longer in Bar Harbor. Check the schedule for the Common Ground Fair which I think is held not too far from Camden if you would like to attend an organic agricultural fair with high quality arts and crafts. It's in late Sept and does NOT have a midway. The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland is a good stop if you like paintings by the Wyeths and other Maine artists. Owls Head Transportation Museum if you want to look at old cars and airplanes. But stay in Camden, it's prettier. Check out events at the Yankee Magazine website www.newengland.com and for some guidance. They also have a B&B locator. Portland has a great historic shopping area and restaurants if you want shopping but maybe you would like to stop along the way to see lighthouses? You could stop for a harbor cruise in Portsmouth NH or visit Strawbery Banke. I would skip south of Boston area unless you really want to go there. It's wonderful but you could spend all your time in Maine. We usually spend a week just exploring one particular area. There's a great, huge used bookstore just south of Ellsworth. We just attended an evening with Tim Sample, a Maine humorist. If you have a chance to hear him, go.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:34 AM
George

If its 300+ years ols why is it still called NEW England?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:50 PM
jbj

Between N.H.and Bar Harbor, stay in the Rangeley Lakes area or in the Belgrade Lakes area.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
jbj

2 days N.H., 1 night Maine Lakes, 2 nights Bar Harbor, (head south towards the end of the 3rd day), 2 nights in Belfast/Camden/Lincolnville area or Boothbay Harbor, final night down south (1 hour from Manchester flight-out) in Ogunquit or Wells, Maine, or in Portsmouth N.H.