New England - 1st anniversary

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM
hostlerk

New England - 1st anniversary

My husband and I are planning to celebrate our first anniversary in New England in early July. Our plans are very flexible. We are active and are looking to stay somewhere a little different. Willing to spend a few hundred. Any suggestions?

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:45 AM

i

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Congrats!

Not sure what you intend by "different," or whether you're interested in coast or mountains. Here are some thoughts; feel free to post back with further clarifications or questions on recommendations:
Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, NH
Black Point Inn at Prouts Neck, outside Portland, ME
Nestlenook Inn in Jackson, NH
Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT
Captain Jefferds Inn in Kennebunkport, ME.
Ocean View Inn in Gloucester, MA

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:25 AM
khostler

Dear Congrats,
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll start checking them out. We both love the ocean and the mountains, so either would be fine. We actually plan to spend about 2-3 weeks in New England and will definately spend some time in the mountains and in the coast. By "different" I mean not the ordinary large, touristy, chain-like hotel, something a little more unique. Since we enjoy hiking, mt. biking, kayaking, swimming,... we'd like to be able to do some type of activity close by. Thank you!

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:32 AM
barb

Nantucket Island is perfect for anniversaries....NO chains. Most "hotels" are sea captains mansions from the whaling days. The Jared Coffin is our favorite. Fabulous food. Fancy to frivolous. Try the Brotherhood of Thieves Restaurant. And definitely head out to 'Sconset while you're there. Oh, and leave your car in Hyannis. It is nothing but a hassle on the island. PS: If you want an occasional MacDonald's, you'll have to ferry over to Martha's Vineyard. Nantucket will have none of that!!

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
barb

Oh, and one other thing....if you go for the 4th of July, you'll enjoy a celebration like no other. Their big parade consists of a new fire truck, an antique fire truck, a few antique cars, and dozens of kids with decorated bikes! There are watermellon and blueberry pie eating contests. And a water battle between the old and the new firetrucks. (Prepare to get wet!) All is topped off with fireworks at the Jetties Beach. Enjoy!! PS: Wear red, white, and blue that day, or you'll really stand out in the crowd.