Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Specific Charleston Info...Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to attend a class located on Daniel Island, which I understand is 20 minutes from the historic downtown. (The suggested hotel is a Hampton Inn on the island, which gets decent reviews and seems perfectly acceptable.)

HOWEVER, after reading GoTravels trip report and having always wanted to go to Chrleston, I can't imagine coming all that way and not staying right downtown.

So, for those of you who know that traffic is like there.. will I be okay if I stay in the historic district.. drive each morning to class and then just return and enjoy my evenings in the city? Is this what you'd do?

I'll be coming mid Dec or mid Jan... might make it my birthday trip! Harbourview and Market Place Pavillion in the runnings so far....
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Daniel Island is beginning to shine with some cute shops and restaurants. I think you will be fine to make the commute from Charleston to Daniel daily.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... so there isn't really any "commute" traffic of which to speak? (Can you tell I'm from California?!)

I really wanted to stay in the middle of things.. so your answer is exactly what I'd hoped to hear!
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM
GoTravel

With the new bridge, Daniel Island isn't more than 20 minutes from downtown so yes, definitely stay downtown.

For your birthday? Market Pavillion! It is such a gorgeous fabulous hotel in an excellent location.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Have been browsing websites... the John Rutledge House looks great too! I've been wanting to go to Charleston for so long... I need a month!