Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston area - should I stay in town or on an island?

May 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm headed to Charleston for 3 days, and I'm wondering if I should stay on one of the closer islands, or if it's better to stay in Charleston itself and just take day trips to the islands.

I don't have a car, so I'd want to have access to Charleston itself if I was staying on an island, and for example if I was going out at night for dinner and drinks, I'd want to know I could get back to my hotel after dark. Is this feasible, or should I just stay on the mainland?

I like the idea of staying somewhere less crazy and urban than the city but also being able to travel easily to and fro.

Also I think my plane gets to Charleston at 6 or 6:30 pm - would I easily be able to get to a hotel on one of the islands, or would it be complicated for someone just coming off a 7 hour plane trip?

Thanks for your help-
May 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Stay right in Charleston - in the historic center. Its not crazy or urban so it will meet your needs.
May 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Hi honey_b, I live in California and visited Charleston for the first time last April. I am certainly not an expert regarding Charleston, far from it.

I was there for two nights (sort of three days). My friend and I drove there from Atlanta. We stay in the historical center of Charleston..we had the hotel valet park our car and we didn't use it until we left Charleston.

I considered Charleston such a relaxing laid back city, certainly nothing crazy or even urban in the way I think of a city..I considered it a beautiful gentle southern city with lovely residents.

I do believe that the historical center does not have taxis..someone more familar with Charleston such as GoTravel could address that issue. In fact if you search under GoTravel's Charleston report (she is a neighboring native to Charleston) you will find a wealth of information on her report which she posted early 2005.

I hope you enjoy lovely Charleston as much as I did.
May 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Without a car, I would definitely stay in Charleston itself. As others have said, the downtown area of Charleston is neither crazy nor urban and there is plenty to see and do. In fact, with only three days, I don't think I would even leave the historic downtown area, unless you want to go out to a plantation. You will also have more dining choices within walking distance if you stay downtown. Charleston is a beautiful city. Enjoy your trip!
May 27th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Definitely stay in Charleston if you don't have a car. That is, if the city of Charleston is your destination. If an island stay with days on the beach is your primary destination then you won't need a car there either. A taxi to and trom the city for one long day trip should work. You won't find much in public transportation to-from the islands. However, you might find a shuttle to-from a beach resort into the city.

Charleston is a wonderful city, and although I love the beaches and we have great beaches here in South Carolina, it's the city of Charleston that is unique.
Kathy
May 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM

No doubt. Without a car, in the city and in the historic district.
May 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody! It seems pretty unanimous!

-h.b.
May 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM

Just came back from Charleston 6 days ago. Definately stay in the Historic district. What a beautiful, relaxing place. If you're into History, take one of the walking tours you won't regret it.