Need Olympic Pennisula Beach Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 60 year old mother has never been outside of the state of Texas except to visit me in Miami. In June, I'm taking her on a vacation to Seattle & ONP.

One of the things I'd like to show her are the beaches along the coast between Quinault & Forks. Beach 1, 2, 3, etc.

She had a total knee replacement about 18 months ago. She gets around pretty good, walks about three miles a day, but I'm worried that climbing up a steep hill would put too much stress on her knee. It's been a couple of years since I've been to those beaches and I can't remember which ones have a easy hike in and which ones have the steep trail to go down/up.

I've been trying to find topo maps of the area but haven't had much luck. If anyone could provide some advice, it would be much appreciated!
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM

It's been awhile since I've been to those, too-I remember them being short and easy for someone who didn't just have a knee replacement, but I can't remember how steep the climbs are. I did find this that has some description-maybe you could call the resort and ask them:

http://www.ocean-park.org/activities.html
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Call the Olympic National Park and ask them. We took a ranger-led hike to Ruby Beach last year, which was great, but I remember scrambling over logs to get to the beach (don't know how long the detour was to avoid them).
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM

You can also email the Olympic National Park wilderness information center at [email protected]. You ask a good question, but many of us never take notice of accessibility until we need it. There is an accessibility page on the NPS website but it doesn't say much about the beaches. I hope you get there, it's stunning.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Ruby beach fits the bill.