Need OBX restaurant help !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer my family + extended family are renting a house in Kill Devil Hills across from the Wright Memorial for 1 wk. There will be 8 adults and 6 children (all under the age of 4). We need ideas for restaurants that deliver and also for places that are "very kid-friendly". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Same question - just moving it up to the top. Can anyone help me?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Other than Dominoes, I don't know of restaurants that deliver. Plenty of take out available though.

Good luck. That's quite a crowd you've got there!

Cap't Franks (best hot dogs and fries on the beach) MP 4 Business Rd

Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar - casual seafood MP 6 Beach Rd Kill Devil Hills

Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill - Diner food, juke box, pin ball machine. Manteo (across from Christmas Shop)

Basnights Lone Cedar (family place) - traditional seafood, huge servings. On the causeway to Manteo

Mama Kwans - Chinese, Thai, Asian fusion. MP 9.5 Business Road

Stack Em High - Pancake house. MP 4.5 and 9.5 Business Road.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Just bumping it up to see if anyone has any more ideas.
Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Well, this probably isn't much help, but last time I was there I saw LOTS of little catering trucks running all over - so somebody must be delivering food! Ask your rental agent for info or stop at the information center and ask. You don't have a kid at Denison University do you? I noticed that you had previously asked about Granville Ohio...
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Wliwl,

No, we don't have anyone at Denison. Just stayed at the Granville Inn for my husband's birthday because it is close to our home in Columbus. Thanks for the info on the OBX. We are looking forward to our trip.
Lisbeth
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Wow. That's a ton of folks, and a preschool class!

1. Lock all the kids in a room and go to Tortuga's Lie with the big people!
(Just kidding)

2. Stack 'em High - pancakes, pancakes, pancakes! Very little people friendly, too. There are 2 locations close to you on the bypass.

3. delivery - not a clue

A good idea would be to pick up one of the local food and restaurant guides when you get there. They have one that lists all the restaurants, locations and many menus. You can find these everywhere during the summer. If you are renting a beach house, there will usually be one in the house for you.
We go every 4th of July. Have fun and good luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM

Awful Arthur's is very good and does have a take out window....you can phone ahead.

For a crowd that size take advantage of the seafood depts. of the supermarkets. Foodlion will cook all your seafood purchases to your specifications....cheap compared to restaurants.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:34 PM

Try Chili Peppers! They have fantastic, eclectic food and are very kid-friendly. It's on the main drag...you won't be dissapointed.

I also recommend Stack Em High for breakfast. It's a yummy, kid friendly place as well.
Have a great time, we go there every year
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM

That's a great idea about the seafood dept at the grocery. Tyson chicken tenders for the kids. Sounds like a way to go! With that crowd, I'd eat in a lot rather than wait for a table for 14 with tired, sunbaked kids.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
emd

LAst summer I got a flyer w/my rental from Village Realty about a delivery service for meals. The menus looked great and reasonable. We just didn't get around to using the service. It was not relaated to a restaurant, it was a service just for delivering meals. You could call Village Realty in Nags Head and ask them, since they put the flyer in w/the lease info they sent.
Also, I used a grocery delivery serice that was fantastic. With all those people yo umight want to hink about that too. I think it was through Farm Fresh of Centerville (I'll have to look it up if you are interested- post and I will give you the info). I went online the Wed. before we went and got to shop online, getting all the weekly special prices just as if I was shopping in the store. On Sat. afternoon about 5 p.m. after we had checked in, they showed up w/a refreigerated/freezer truck and delivered everything, and brought it up the stairs into the kitchen. It was wonderful not having to shop right after we got there. THe produce was fresh and just what I woudl have picked out (they have a field so you can put in if you like your bananans a bit on the green side, etc., and they honor those requests). I never went to the store the first week. You can also reorder for delivery at mid-week on Wed., as well as for either Sat. or Sun. delivery. I highly recommend this service and will use it again this year. Great variety and prices,a dn it beat the heck out of that weekend crush at the grocery stores in the OBX.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM
emd

for anyone interested, the grocery delivery info is at:
http://www.farmfreshmarkets.com/Farm...outerbanks.asp
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

emd,

Just wanted to send an enormous THANK YOU for the farm fresh market suggestion. We have decided to take advantage of this great service. Thanks again.
Lisbeth
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
emd

Happy to help. I LOVE that service. So worth it after the drive down there, and they lug it all into the house and up the stairs to the kitchen. I wish they would just stay and make dinner too!