Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help planning a last minute trip through the West.

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and fellow redditor from the UK and I are meeting Colorado Springs, CO on the 26th of this month and will be taking a road trip to Portland, OR. I'll be getting off in Medford Oregon though, so that's where this trip will need to end on the 7th or 8th.

We have a sketched out itinerary, or rather just a list of stops along the way, but neither of us really know where we'd like to go except for the Grand Canyon and Vegas (4th of July). I would LOVE some input from locals or travelers alike.

We just want to travel and have a good time. We're both 30, committed and just taking this opportunity to have a guys trip after knowing eachother for 11 years but never meeting face to face. The goal here is epic road trip.

For now, our map is as follows: http://tinyurl.com/3o8nu8u

Your input would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:33 PM

I assume the Moab stop is for Arches and Canyonlands, they are both worth a few days. .Are you married to Meteor Crater? It is interesting but not worth the extra miles so a tweek to your route would to make for a more interesting trip IMHO. If after Monument Valley you went over to Page and visited Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, etc. then headed through Utah to Bryce, the north rim of Grand Canyon and Zion then down to Vegas. You would see much more spectacular sites.

Do pick up one of the annual National Park pass when you get to the first NP

I'm sure you will get lots of other ideas/opinions here so read on and have a fantastic trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks emalloy!

We're really not sold on anything but the Grand Canyon at this point. I personally would like to see more of the coast than anything else but I'm a sucker for a good view.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Even if you left out Meteor Crater, I always recommend the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon for first time visitors. It really is a toss up on driving time for either S. Rim or N. Rim coming from Monument Valley and going to Page or Zion.

The only reason I'd recommend the N. Rim on this trip is if you will be at the Grand Canyon over the 4th of July weekend. Crowds will be insane that weekend.

Utahtea
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
4th of July week - Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Santa Cruz . . . Do you plan on sleeping in your car most nights?
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

@janisj,

We'll be camping the whole trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you booked campsites??

That is the busiest camping time of the whole year.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM

If you don't want to stay at a private campground in Moab, you might be able to find BLM camping along the Colorado River either on Hwy 128 or Potash Road, Hwy 279. It's going to be hot! Your chances are very slim to none on getting in at Arches National Park or Canyonlands, Island in the Sky district unless you were already in Moab the morning before.

If you want to camp at the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon you have to make reservations. I'm sure the place is booked but keep checking for cancellations.

Make sure you get up VERY early on the morning you want to get a campsite in Zion. The South Campground is first come, first serve, but it's going to fill up fast in the summer!

You probably aren't going to have a problem getting a campsite in Death Valley because it's to HOT to camp there in the summer!

Before you reach Yosemite and just off Hwy 395 are national forest campgrounds. I'd plan on spending the first night before reaching Yosemite here and then get up very early in the morning to get a first come, first serve campsite in Camp 4 http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camp4.htm in Yosemite Valley. These are walk in sites not far from Yosemite Lodge.

Utahtea