Search

Sidetrip Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidetrip Ideas

In April we plan to fly in to Las Vegas, drive directly to Zion for one night. From Zion we would drive to Lake Powell for two nights, then on to the South rim of the Grand Canyon for one night. We will then fly back home from Las Vegas.
Are there any suggestions for sidetrips that we could easily take to see other interesting sights, while on this route?
Also we would appreciate hotel suggestions for Lake Powell and Grand Canyon (Tusayan?).

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 01:43 AM

ttt
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:36 AM

I would suggest to take one day for visiting Bryce canyon. For Zion we stayed at the Best western in Springdale. At Lake Powell we had the Motel6 at Page and at the G.Canyon ;Red Feather in Tusayan.Paul
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Do a search for Antelope Canyon. It is just outside of Page, AZ. For something different, checkout the dinosaur tracks near Page. The Navajo guide was very down to earth. Stop at the Cameron Trading Post and have a meal. Also consider entering from the Grand Canyon from the East entrance to avoid the crowds.

If you do enter the via the southern entrance to the Grand Canyon, consider Sunset Crater and Walnut Canyon ruins.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM

South of Zion is a state park called Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Give 'em Google.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM

You have such a short time for your trip, that I would concentrate on the parks you are already going to.

Not sure why you want to spend two nights at Lake Powell, unless you plan a half day float trip on the Colorado River or an all day boat trip to Rainbow Bridge National Monument. If you don't plan on doing either of those activities, I'd only spend one night at Lake Powell and either spend two nights at Zion or Grand Canyon or spend one night at Bryce.

Utahtea
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:55 AM

As usual, I'm with Utahtea. I'd trade a night at Lake Powell for a night in Bryce or Zion.

For lodging, we liked Flanigans in Springdale, UT, Lake Powell Resort in Page (not stellar but good location for view of Lake), and Kachina Lodge in Grand Canyon (www.xantarra.com for reserevations).

Great trip--you'll love it!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Mike -
First of all I disagree highly with UTAHTEA - I think Lake Powell has a lot to offer anyone - everything from Antelope Canyon to Horseshoe Bend Hiking Trails - Colorado Float Trip - Horseback riding - slot canyon hiking - not to mention boat tours on the lake or boat rentals -

We stayed at Dreamkatchers Bed and Breakfast at Lake Powell - and they booked everything in advance for us - as a matter of fact, we are coming back again this September and staying 5 days - and going to Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon from there .

Chuck