Need an advice about Airbnb problem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you please give me some thoughts how to get my money back please?
I paid 3 weeks of appartments in NYC (appr. 2000 USD), but when I came I found out that it wasn't I really needed, I didn't have any personal space, only bed in their living room.
After this I mooved out to other place and cancelled my reservation.

The appartment were immediately rented and paid again by other customer.
Even if it was my misunderstanding about appartments, the host got payment twice and don't want to send my payment back. They gave me only 200 USD back.

As well as I'm from Russia, I don't know how to get at least half of my payment back. Would you please advise me something?
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 03:47 AM

This is one of the risks of airbnb.

Have you contacted them - instead of your host? Do you have specific information on how the lodgings did not meet the description - photo showing you did not have your own room and proof that their listing says you get a private room.

If the lodging did meet the description - and you misunderstood the description - then I'm not sure what the airbnb rules are. Or what your recourse is.

If you put a link here to that specific listing so people can see what it says - they perhaps someone can advise better.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am really sorry this happened to you. But unfortunately, you may be out of luck. It sounds like it was your decision to move and you do say it was because you misunderstood the description

I know lots of Fodorites rave about airBnB - but I personally wouldn't ever use them (but then I avoid craigslist too)
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM

I'm not sure if there's any way to get your money back, but you should certainly complain to Air BnB. At least they might be able to put the kibosh on this scam. How do you know they rented the apartment again immediately?

But this is the prime reason why AirBnB is such a bad idea, particularly in a place like NYC, where you can either get into a situation like this or an outright scam.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM

If they actually rented the apartment again immediately, then they "mitigated their damages" and you should get your money back even if what they provided was exactly what was advertised (in any claim for contractual damages, the "seller" has to attempt to mitigate damages, and if they do, the "buyer" only has to pay the difference).

That said, unless you are prepared to go to court (small claims) over this, actually seeing a return of your money might be difficult.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And that would require returning to NYC and paying to stay again.

That might be worthwhile since you are talking about a sizable amount. But w/ travel and hotel/meals you won't net most of your $$$
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Will you put up a link to the apartment you rented so we can all see it and see what the cancellation policy for the apartment is? Air BnB's cancellation policies are right on their website.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancella...s#flexible_nav

How did you know the apartment was rented after you moved elsewhere?
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your kind replies!
I know that room was rented again from the host, and Airbnb confirmed it.
I forgot to say that I called Airbnb just on the next morning and said I wasnt satisfied and would like to get my payment back. They replied I can negotiate about it with the host directly only. Just later I found out they transfer money to the host on the second day of visiting if the guest finds apartment ok.
I realize how difficult to get smth back nevetheless I want to try.
I still didn't leave bad response on the host's page because still hope to setlle everything in the good way.
May be you could tell me the names of some organizations protecting consumer rights in NYC?
Thanks in advance.
Best wishes from Moscow)
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM

NYC does have a Better Business Bureau, but it's purpose is to log complaints against licensed businesses.

I'm afraid that no company in NYC will negotiate on your behalf with an unlicensed company renting space in a private apartment. There is no consumer law protecting you that I'm aware of. Basically, you're on your own.

People have the right to rent out space in their own apartments while they reside in the apartment (it's illegal in NYC to rent out an apartment for less than 30 days otherwise). I'm afraid you are on your own here. This is why I always tell people never to do AirBnB or Craigslist in NYC in particular.

But I have to say the original purposes of AirBnB was to rent out space to people looking for a very cheap lodging alternative who didn't want to stay in a hotel. While the original idea was to rent out an unused spare bedroom in one's home, many AirBnB members in NYC rent out space in studio apartments, curtained-off corners of dining rooms, and air mattresses on the floor. A lot of New Yorkers live in such arrangements because they want to live here. I'm sorry you were unhappy with this arrangement, but I think the time has past to try to work it out with the host.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:14 PM

How did you pay airbnb. If you gave them cash or equivalent - I don;t think there's anything you can do - except complain about the aprtment renter - assuming what they said was false. If it was true - and yuo just didn't like it - noting youcan do.

If you paid via credit card or Paypal you can file a complaint with them.

since this is a private arrangement - not a business - there is really noting better business can do. You could take them to small claims court - but would have to have all of your proof that the description was clearly false - and come here for the case to be reviewed by a judge.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM

I would email the CEO/Founder - he is open to communication from dissatisfied customer.Your best point is that the apartment was re rented and so the host did not lose any $$.

[email protected]
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 03:55 AM

Geez. I started to respond to this post before realizing it is over a year old. Then I realized it was only for "advertising" that it was revived. Silly me.