Reload this Page >

Need advice on NYC hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Michelle

Hi everyone! My husband and I have tickets to see Movin Out in New York in October. It is at the Richard Rodgers Theater on 46th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. I have been doing some research online and am trying to find a good hotel close by.
I wanted to stay at the Marriott Marquis but they are full. I've found good rates for the Grand Hyatt ($229) and the Intercontental ($229). Are these places too far away?
We can only stay for one night due to our work schedules. Since our time will be so limited, I don't want to waste it by booking an out of the way hotel.
I've been to NYC a few times before, but this will be the first time that my husband has agreed to come along. I thought we might go for drinks after the theater to the Marriott Marquis which is why I wanted to stay there.
I would appreciate hotel suggestions for under $250 per night and ideas for a romantic seafood dinner and after theatre drinks and dessert. Thank you for your help in advance!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Jen

I really liked the Comfort Inn Midtown, which is on 46th between 6 and 7th, can't get much closer than that! It's recently renovated, staff are cordial and capable, immaculately clean. Continental breakfast and no other food on the premises, but that's not what you're looking for.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Dave

Just got back today from NYC. I think I saw a Novotel in that area.

For what it's worth, we stayed at B'way and 75th (Beacon) and the cab ride to Phantom (44th) was less than 10 minutes. We rode the sub everywhere else.

Have fun.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:40 AM
Jen

The problem with taking a taxi TO the theatre district is that at the end of your show, it can be difficult to impossible to GET a cab again, there are so many people wanting them.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:49 AM
gen

I would stay at the Waldorf. It would be a lovely walk to and from the theater in October. You could do drinks at the Marriot after. I don't know a seafood restaurant but Vice Versa is a wonderful continental restaurant in the theater district that is very romantic and the food is divine.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:44 AM
Chris

Many will write in and disagree, but if you only have one night and you're in the Times Square area you might consider Foley's Fish House for dinner. It's billboard height in the center of Times Square, a thrilling view from every window. The food was decent, not as mediocre as some reviews I read. The atmosphere was quiet, smaller and nicer than I had anticipated. Reservations are a must because of the location and views.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:51 AM
Frank

Michelle: Check out the Sofitel on 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue, they have an entrance on 45th Street also. Short walk to theater, new hotel and usually good deals.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:18 AM
NYC

Just got back from NY, stayed at teh Swissotel - the Drake ($169) at 56 and Park. A bit further away, but still close enough to walk. THe hotel was GREAT! Most comfy bed ever and had a nice bar/restaurant as well. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The nieghborhood was quite for sleeping too.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:36 AM
X

Consider the Broadway Millenium, 44th just east of Broadway - five minute walk to the theater. Grand Hyatt is a 15 minute walk to the theater..

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:48 AM
mike

Any comments /experience of the Novotel in the theatre dictrict at $200 a night?Is that cheap or does anyone know of a good web site for a deal.
Mike

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
katie

The Millenium Hilton is temproarily closed. Don't know why but tried to book there and they're not accepting reservations.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
followup

I always used to stay in midtown. But really, after staying on the upper west side for the past 2 years, I'll never stay in the midtown area (i.e. Times Sq/Theater District) again. It's SO much more crowded, dirty, noisy, touristy, in many ways more expensive (since they know they have the tourists "trapped"), and did I mention crowded.

I only wish I would have realized this many years ago.

Don't forget that the true ACE in the deck with NY, is the transportation system. PLEASE don't be afraid to try the subway or bus system. Check out the maps on the website http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm
before you hit the ground. Almost anyone will help with directions, and there are maps at every station. I've never felt rushed or pushed like you may think.

Staying close to your final destination, in this case that particular theater, is maybe nice, but certainly not necessary in NYC.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

I would opt for staying at the Intercontinental or Waldorf. Nice walk cross town and you can stop at the King Cole Bar in the St. Regis for a drink in one of the greatest bars in the city (in case you have Starwood points, it's a luxury collection hotel and you could use points for a discounted rate).

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:22 PM
nyer

to answer Michelle's original question: the hotels you mention are far away if you consider a 20-30 minute very leisurely stroll too far.
Do not count on getting a cab after the theater,especially if it's raining and you really need it.

If you're looking for a place to stay where you can leave the hotel 15 minutes before curtain time and still make it on time, (or as you mentioned, hang around the theater distict and then have a drink and collapse back in your hotel), your two original choices are definitely not it. They might be better choices for a longer trip, though