NYC - Parents' Weekend Getaway

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Parents' Weekend Getaway

My husband and I are hoping to get a couple of nights on our own in the city in early October. Our daughter is 14 months and it would be our first time not having her with us at night. I digress. We want to stay at a great / trendy hotel and have wonderful dining experiences. I probably wouldn't want to spend more than $400 - $500 / night. No limit on dinner. We were thinking about Per Se for one night if we can manage a reservation. I think we would like to stay more downtown for shopping etc.
Advice?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:24 PM

A couple of years ago, we celebrated my mother's 70th birthday in NYC. We stayed at the Michelangelo, which is a great location in midtown. Very nice hotel (below your price limit) with big rooms (unusual for NYC). We had dinner at Daniel, one of the best restaurants in NYC - wonderful food and a beautiful ambience. Have fun.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM

The Michelangelo is a lovely hotel but not at all trendy, more classic European style. Right nearby though, the Rihga Royal hotel is in the process of turning into a new, trendy place that will reopen around Sept/Oct. as the London NY Hotel. It will have Gordon Ramsey's first US restaurant in it.
http://www.rihgaroyalny.com/popups/london_nyc.cfm

In the same building as Per Se (the Time Warner building) is the Mandarin Oriental. Don't know if that will fit your budget in Oct.

The Bryant Park hotel is a good trendy option in midtown.

If you want to stay further downtown, the Mercer or 60 Thompson in Soho. The W Union Square is another option but reviews on tripadvisor are always mixed on that.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM

The Mandarin Oriental would have been a great choice - but with tax I can;t find anything much under $900 per night including tax for October. (They may still show specials and I don;t know your exact dates so it MAY still be worth checking.)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Location-wise, it doesn't get much LESS trendy than Columbus Circle, where the Time Warner Mall sits.

Check out the SoHo Grand and Tribeca Grand, also the Mercer.

Enjoy NYC!