Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3 favorites - Where do you always return to during a NYC trip?

Jun 12th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant -
Store -
Location - tourist or otherwise
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant - Veselka
https://www.veselka.com/

Store - Fishs Eddy
https://fishseddy.com/

Location - Times Square
Even if it's just a quick walk-through at night after a Broadway show
Jun 13th, 2019, 06:08 AM

Last fall was my first visit to NYC in 30 years so I don't think that I really have any "must sees" yet. I have added your favorites to my list for my next visit as they sound fun. I did enjoy the High Line and will definitely revisit.
Jun 13th, 2019, 06:31 AM

We go to NYC once or twice a year at most. In recent years we have timed our trips to spend time with my husband's brother and SIL from CA who are in the city for a week in September. They always want to stay at the Beacon on the upper west side so that's what we do.

We don't have any NYC restaurants or sights that are "musts." I lived in Greenwich Village in the mid 1970's and usually like to go down to the neighborhood around Washington Square. When we are in the area we go by the Stonewall National Monument in Christopher Park . I love to see that and enjoy the way things have changed for the better. Maybe next time we'll eat at Veselka.
Jun 13th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Gramercy Tavernóno reservations for front bar room, which I like because Iím never sure what time I will be there.
Jun 13th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Sarge's Deli.
Barney Greengrass.
Ess-a-Bagel on Third Ave.

See a theme here?
Jun 13th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Restaurant: Ess-a-bagel
Store: none in particular
Place: Central Park
Jun 14th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Restaurant: CoBa
Store: Museum shops
Place:: West Chelsea, West Village
Jun 14th, 2019, 01:39 PM

The Met
no specific restaurant but I always get a decent bagel
the mysterious bookshop
Jun 14th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Place, for me Central Park.
Stores, for the Mrs., Kinokuniya bookstore and Muji on opposite sides of Bryant Park.
Restaurant, my son insists on New Wonjo in Koreatown, open 24/7 with charcoal grills on the 2nd floor for table side bbq.

Gardyloo, the corned beef sandwiches and chicken matzo ball soup at Sarge’s are pretty good.
Jun 15th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions! Thank you!
9 have responded but 1.5K have viewed. Don't be shy! Add your favorites too.
Headed into the city in a few minutes. Really enjoying reading this list!
Jun 15th, 2019, 07:21 AM

I don't have a favorite restaurant. I am always trying random places when I go but do check out the menus of places posted here.

I also always seem to go to Times Square. Normally its because my reason for going is in that area. To see a play or show. I always stop in both the Hershey and M&M stores. I don't buy anything but like to look in case I may want something.

Starrs I may want to try the restaurant you posted. I'm still looking for that pizza that blows me away. I still haven't found it but I keep trying some have been good but no wow factor yet.
Jun 15th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Try Motorino for personal sized pizza.
Jun 15th, 2019, 02:04 PM

I am a native NY'ers but when I come back from a trip I go to:

Ess-a-bagel, Donut Plant, The Pickle Guys, Davey's Ice Cream

Store-The Strand Book Store

And for hamburger in a dive-Paul's Da Burger Joint.

As far a favorite location-a place that is shady and quiet
Jun 15th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sassy27 View Post
I also always seem to go to Times Square. Normally its because my reason for going is in that area.
I love Times Square! It's so different from when I first started visiting. The peep shows were still there!

Okay, reporting in from today's NYC trip. My little secret WAS always eating at Blue Fin right in the middle of Times Square. I LOVED the huge glass corner window (formerly the Blue Fin's sushi bar) because it's the best people watching in the world. Nothing is better, IMO. The parade of tourists, from all over the coutnry and the world, just outside the huge glass window. I asked my friend if she minded today and she said "no". Well, I knew from Google Earth there had been construction. Blue Fin is still there but the glass corner space is not a Mexican restaurant. I asked if she minded. Again, "no". We sat at the counter at the window and ordered food - and to be honest, it really didn't matter how good the food was. I was happy to be back in "my space".

The salad was out of the world. Seriously, one of the best salads I've ever had.
It was so good, as we were leaving the ferry my friend asked if we could go back tomorrow for lunch! It's close to the theater. Perfect!

Here's the fabulous salad -

DOS CAMINOS CHICKEN COBB SALAD

$18.00grilled free range chicken* breast, tomato, avocado, chorizo, grilled corn, onion, queso fresco, cilantro-basil vinaigrette

And here's the website -
https://www.doscaminos.com/menus-and-food/

The prickly pear margarita was fabulous too and the people watching did not disappoint.

My favorites = a grandfather strolling with his grandson and "twins" = a middle aged man and young boy all decked out in navy blazers, chinos, and sunglasses. We named them Uncle Frankie and Little Frankie after my friend's family members.

Last edited by starrs; Jun 15th, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Jun 16th, 2019, 08:11 AM

The only reason I go to News York is for theater (or occasionally ballet), so I"m always around Times Square as I go planned around a particular show I want to see. I usually go to the theater twice on days when possible (matinee and evening), and since NY is so expensive for hotels, I usually arrive Sat around noon, go to a matinee, then later another show, then perhaps another Sunday afternoon, then I leave. Or I might leave Sunday after doing something, like going to the MET if there is some show I particularly want to see.

I don't go to TS at all because I like it, it's just a necessary evil that I'm probably around it or have to walk through it due to the theater.

The only other things I usually do is go to Junior's for a slice of cheesecake as I think they have the best I've had in NY (there is one in Brooklyn also I think and now one near TS and another a bit farther north near a hotel I like to stay at)--sometimes I buy a slice for takeout and keep it in my hotel room's minifrig to have for dessert when I get back after an evening performance. I often go to Joe Allen's for dinner as they have a good choice and reasonable prices, they are very nice there, and it's usually close to the evening show I am going to.
Jun 16th, 2019, 08:42 AM

Christina it is so nice to hear you like going to Junior's for their cheesecake. I used to stop there for the same reason until they put in a factory with an outlet store 30 mins from my house. It is actually around the corner from my family cemetery that I could walk. So you know what happens when I visit the cemetery. I simply can't resist.
Jun 16th, 2019, 06:27 PM

jing fong in chinatown nyc

20 Elizabeth Street
(between Bayard St. and Canal St.)
New York, NY 10013

-real chinese dim sum, go on sunday for brunch

Yonah Schimmel Knishes 137 East Houston Street, New York, NY 10002 (212)477-2858
da best!

Keens for lamb chops
72 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018

maa...maa...maa

Eat here and you can die knowing you had some of the best in nyc!!!
Jun 17th, 2019, 07:15 AM

Dos Caminos in Times Square. There is one on 14th at 9th too. Never eaten there though.
Funny that some ppele like Times Square. I remember the seug dealers, peep shows, etc from my childhood and teens. I still avoid it like the plague.
Jun 17th, 2019, 08:16 AM

I live in NYC. Here are three favorite places.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art. We're members. I probably go once a month. Impressionist rooms, Old Masters, Medieval, Greco-Roman, Native American, special exhibits.

The NY Botanical Gardens. Members, visit several times a year. Bird watching, special shows, Spring. Roses. The forest.

Central Park. Almost daily at times. Seek out the bridges, arches and hidden areas. Watch a ball game or some boulder climbers. Listen to a concert, watch a play, go bird watching.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO