Need advice from Mardi Gras experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking the family to Mardi Gras - never been, and would appreciate advice. We would like to watch at least one parade on each of the Saturday and Sunday before Mardi Gras. I have identified the Bacchus and Endymion parades as being closest to our hotel (we are on the edge of the Quarter).

What is the best way for my family with teenagers to watch the parades? I loathe standing in a crowd for hours and have heard a good way is to buy a "ticket" at a restaurant along the parade route. How do I find out which restaurants those are? Are tickets very hard to get, so that I am too late? I can't find out any information about this, please help!

I have also heard that children don't belong in the Quarter during Mardi Gras and that the best family viewing area is on St. Charles Avenue between First Street and Napoleon Avenue. Are restaraunts there? Do they sell those tickets? We do plan to be in the Quarter for much of the visit -- can't imagine a visit to NO without seeing the Quarter, and of course we want to go to Cafe du Monde, the St. Louis Cathedral, and some great restaurants there -- but just how raunchy will it likely be? We have teens, not small children. Is it mostly people overimbibing and maybe a flash or two, or what?

We have reservations at Commander's Palace, Irene's Cuisine and Mr. B's, and plan to visit the WWII Museum, aquarium, maybe a cemetery and of course just walk around. We will be there for 2 nights so time is short. Considering Mardi Gras World but we'll be getting a lot of Mardi Gras experience anyway so may cut that.

Anything else we shouldn't miss? Thanks for any expert tips!.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The MAJOR parades, unless things have changed, ALL follow the same route: down St. Charles to Canal and then along part OF Canal. They don't go into the French Quarter at all due to fire and other regulations/precautions.

The several years I lived in the city I saw a variety of "activities" including OPEN screwing on a couple of the side streets but that was the "worst" of things. I would not hesitate to have children watching the parade(s) themselves. Drunkenness is the major theme for many folks, especially within the French Quarter itself and there have been more than a couple people who have fallen off balconies along Bourbon Street.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Go to Google maps and check out these areas. Then drill down close and you'll see restaurants. Mouse over the restaurants and you'll likely get ratings and other feedback.

And no, considering what I've done or attempted in the Quarter, I wouldn't take the kids anywhere near Bourbon Street (closer to the river and Jax Square should be ok).
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM

The quarter during Mardi Gras will be much more than the usual drunkenness you run into every night there. You will see blatant drug use, young women on balconies encouraged to remove their tops and bras (which they will do) - and perhaps more. Petty crime is rife - and muggings if you go onto the side streets. Fights and other random violence is rife in the streets.

I would not go there myself at all - never mind with teens. If you do go leave any valuables in your hotel room and women shouldn't carry purses at all. (I saw part of an episode of Cops n NO during MG and it was the worst thing I have ever seen - not a fun street party event - but sordid drunken violence.)

I would really rethink this unless the teens are sophisticated, city wise, mature and large enough to defend themselves/not look like victims.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I was in Thibodaux for Mardi Gras in 2005. It's much smaller, and not even the same thing. But it was all about family fun. I stayed with the Naquins:

http://www.naquinsbb.com/

They know everybody in town and took me to the warehouse where the floats were being prepared. It was fabulous.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Hi-
You're right about watching (most) parades on St. Charles Avenue. It's much more family-friendly and you will not have to worry about women flashing (and some men!) But Endymion rolls on a different route- the non-tourist spots for that parade are in the Mid-City areas.
However, you don't really need to buy tickets to watch the parades. The crowds are part of the fun! If you really want reservations, try Michaul's, Zea's and I think some hotels like the Intercontinental offer package deals-- food, viewing spots and most importantly, bathrooms! There are also viewing stands in front of Gallier Hall and in Lee Circle which are free and open to the public.
And to keep track of the parades (and to stay busy during your wait) download the WDSU Parade Tracker app. Yes, I work there but it's a GREAT resource that will give you real-time updates as the floats progress. Plus it's free! (WDSU.com also has maps of every parade for your planning purposes.)
I might reconsider staying near the Quarter since you'll be with teenagers. During the morning the rowdy visitors will be sleeping in but after that it will be VERY crowded and no fun, not to mention very bawdy. There is a reason our tv cameras keep a wide angle shot of Bourbon street- no close-ups allowed!
You could stay Uptown and catch daytime parades on Saturday, and parades all day and night on Sunday. You'll also deal with smaller crowds on Saturday Uptown since most of the city turns out for Endymion that night. If you stay near the Quarter just know it will be tough to get to other neighborhoods due to parade traffic and crowds.
Your restaurant choices are great and enjoy the WWII Museum- you will spend more time there than you think!
One more tip- don't walk around the Quarter with your smart phone out. There has been a spike in thefts since most people are paying more attention to their phones than their surroundings.
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM

As you commented - St. Charles Ave close to Napoleon is the best family-friendly area to watch parades. You'll see lots of families dressed in coordinating costumes and it's just great fun. In that area there are several restaurants and in "my day" (a long time ago) I used to buy a pass (which usually included buying a drink) in order to use a particular restaurant or bar's bathroom. Not sure about using them to hang out in during parade. Never did that. The fun is on the streets.

As for the French Quarter - yes, Bourbon street can get raunchy and wild. What age "teens" are we talking about? Young teens or older teens? Would they be offended by nudity?

We were just in the FQ (on Bourbon St most of the time) this past week with my college-aged teens. Granted, it was nothing like what you will experience during Mardi Gras (I have my vague recollections!), but we walked up and down the streets - past the strip joints - listening to the huge variety of music coming from the local venues. We had a blast.

BUT - most of the things people (especially those who have never been there) associate with the French Quarter during Mardi Gras occur on Bourbon Street. It's not that bad in other areas of the FQ - especially in the areas closer to the river (as BigRuss stated).