Can you tell me about Faubourg Marigny?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard this part of New Orleans referred to many times but am not familiar with it. What does it have to offer? Where is it? I'm looking forward discovering parts of New Orleans I've missed in the past and this seems to be one of them (unless I've actually been there and just didn't know of the name).
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM

It is the area just east (I think that is east) of the Quarter. It would be across Esplanade, the CBD would border the Quarter on the other side (Canal). I have ventured into this area only a little & also plan to explore it more in detail my next trip. I think Frenchmen St. is the primary street from what I gather. I have also heard great things about Elizaebth's on Gravier St. sunoaknola.com has some interesting stuff on it.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Any idea what the draw of this area is - art galleries, music, shops, etc?
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Snowrooster-
Check out this website. It gives you a breakdown of neighborhoods by street boundaries and a little info about each. In general, the FM is on the opposite side of the FQ from Canal - near the French Market.

http://www.relocateneworleans.com/ne...s/faubourg.cfm
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM

We explored the area a little bit when we were there. From what I understand, it was the next major section of town developed after the French Quarter. Like the FQ it was developed by the French and Spanish, so it has a lot of the same characteristics as the FQ - old neighborhood, lots of great architecture, mix of residential and commercial, but it is a lot more subdued than the FQ because it doesn't have the same tourist party vibe.

We spent a little time on Frenchman St, which is a block or two down river from Esplanade. There were quite a few restaurants, bars, and clubs there. The rest of the FM that we saw was residential.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Dan

FM is one of the more interesting neighorhoods in a city of great neighborhoods. Frenchmen Street is certainly the biggest attraction but even it is fairly small. Just two blocks, in fact! Lots of small cafes, restaurants and bars on streetcorners throughout the primarily residential area.

I would also add that quite a few Quarter residents have moved to the Marigny to get a "less-touristy" area.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM

This is where you want to go out at night instead of Bourbon St. Lots of good music and cool clubs. Not so touristy.
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM

There are a few places on Frenchman that are fun, the area's hopping. What's nice about FM is the residential feel on the outskirts of the FQ so lots of opportunities nearby but not all the people. B&B's mostly in big old houses with porches and hottubs. I enjoyed my stay there.
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM

The FM can be reached by simply going east (really sorta northeast) on Royal Street or Bourbon Street, until you cross Esplanade Ave and then a couple more blocks.

It's the new up-and-coming hot district in New Orleans and will be as popular as the FQ in 5 to 10 years. There are some funky bars, lots of broken-down old houses being fixed up, several shops beginning to pop up, and some old standby places.

One place I enjoy is the Marigny Brasserie, a neat restaurant and kinda nightspot on what would be an extension of Royal Street, except that street names change and I can't remember it. If you wanted to invest in property, you should buy something in this area before it goes out of sight.