Ideas for an afternoon alone in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm meeting relatives in New Orleans next Friday but they don't arrive until 5:00pm and I arrive at 1:00pm. So after checking into the hotel, Hotel Monaco in the Central Business District, I'm wondering what I could do on my own from there. Would it be easy enough to walk to the French Quarter and browse around? Would I have time maybe to take the St. Charles Streetcar? I love browsing in cities - maybe a museum, a bookstore. Any suggestions for a couple of hours in this neighbourhood or beyond? Would I feel safe out walking by myself? Thanks for your suggestions and ideas, Lily
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:06 PM

The Monaco Hotel is located on St. Charles Ave and is three blocks from the French Quarter. You can spend the whole afternoon walking around that area. The streetcar runs on St Charles, but it is heading out of the CBD. If you'd like to ride it down St. Charles that would take a couple of hours back and forth. You will be safe on a Friday afternoon walking from your hotel to anywhere you can get too on foot.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM

You could spend some time in the Aquarium at the end of Canal Street at the river. It would be a great way to spend a few hours. I had a few hours to myself in N.O. one afternoon when we we were staying one block from the FQ on St. Charles Avenue. I strolled around the FQ and checked out the French Market and did some shopping. Also, they have loads of antique shops to stroll through. You definitely won't be bored.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM

There are several good bookstores in the French Quarter & also neat shops on Royal St. I love Joan Good's in the 800 block of Royal. Her jewelry is antique & can't be beat. She is a true Quarter character & has loads of stories. You could also go to the French Market & get a drink & people watch. A great way to pass some time.There are several good museums around Jackson Square & the French Market.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Walking the three blocks to the Quarter would be worth it and provide an easy two & more hours entertainment, just browing the antique shops, bars and restaurants. I think a trip down to the French Market would be quite a ways to go, spend and hour and start tyring to get back. It may not take an hour to get there but in order to be sure you were back in time to meet up with your folks, I wouldn't allow a whole lot less time than that.

The Quarter is entertainment all unto it own. You'll have fun!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Lily,

Check our the New Orleans Schol of Cooking at www.thelouisianageneralstore.com.

It's located in the French Quarter, and they have a two-hour afternoon session from 2-4 p.m. I think I read that the cost is $20.

Our daughter and husband did the three-hour morning session several months ago, and loved it. It should be a very entertaining afternoon!

Byrd

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM

We took the St. Charles street car ride, just to kill some time between planned activities, and it was pleasant enough. I remember seeing the MTV "Real World" House on St. Charles St. Also, we got off the street car and walked to the home of Anne Rice (Interview With the Vampire) at First and Chestnut in the Garden District. I wouldn't say these are must-dos in New Orleans, but it was relaxing, and you should be felt perfectly safe out walking in the afternoon.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - some great ideas which I will be sure to use. Much appreciated, Lily