Information in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans in July. We don't want to stay in the French Quarter and are particularly interested in the Faubourg Marigny. One Inn has really caught our attention, Elysian Fields Inn on Elysian Fields Avenue, and we were wondering if anyone has heard anything about the place. Seems to be top notch. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM

In the Faubourg Marigny I highly recommend B&W Courtyards. A couple of blocks toward the French Quarter is La Maison Marigny. Both of these are absolutely top notch and both have websites.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 11:05 AM

We stayed at La Maison Marigny last weekend. It was wonderful. Drove by Elysian Fields Inn and it looked nice too. I wouldn't want to walk there at night though, and I really like being able to walk from the Quarter. Jean
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Dan

Elysian Fields gets great reviews on tripadvisor.com.

It's very near St. Claude Avenue, which is not good. I'd walk during the day and take cabs at night.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:42 PM

I have to agree about the area. The place looks nice on the website but it is not uncommon for a place to be nice itself but "shady" nearby. I lived in the Quarter & used to visit friends & go to school in that area in the 70s & even then parts (around St Claude) were scary at night. If you are set on there then just plan your budget with cabs for nightime trips.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Dan,
Thanks. I went to tripadvisor.com and they seem to get raving reviews. Still like the website and the fact that they are the only AAA 4 Diamond B&B makes me think that the area has changed somewhat since the 70's (no offense benj). Maybe we'll give them a try and report back on the area and the Inn when we get back.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Dan

I could be wrong, but most B&Bs don't get rated by AAA. Being four diamond is impressive but it doesn't necessarily imply the same thing it would with hotels, which are all AAA-rated.

Please let us know what you think of it when you get back!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Dan

Just called a friend who lives nearby. He said the B&B is near St. Claude (one block away), was totally renovated after a fire and is next to a few bars and a grocery store. He said if you walk RIGHT when you leave the B&B, it's okay! Walk LEFT and it's definitely not okay. That's coming from a local who lives on Dauphine at Elysian Fields, two blocks from the B&B!!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:49 PM

I stayed here about 1 month ago after finding it on Tripadvisor.com and bedandbreakfast.com. I'm telling you, it's quite impressive. We walked everywhere from the Inn and never felt unsafe. Walked to Walgreen's at Elysian Fields and St. Claude to get some Advil and people couldn't have been nicer. We thought the location was great and the neighborhood is definitely on the upswing from what it was years ago. Obviously common sense is in order but that is true no matter where you travel these days. The heart of Frenchmen Street is only 3 blocks away and that's where we spent most of our evenings anyway. The Inn is spectacular and lives up to everything I read on Tripadvisor.
BTW, it is AAA rated and inspected. I noticed the sign on the front window as we arrived and asked for my AAA discount. (which they gave me at check-in)
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Dan

Seems everyone interested in this place is new to the board today and has just one post so far. Welcome!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Dear John,

While you're in the Marigny, check out the Latin dancing at Cafe Brazil. The crowd in the Marigny is very electic and I think that you'll find the locale very interesting.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:02 AM

"eclectic" not "electic" - youngtimers disease!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:56 AM

John,
I still live in the NO area. I was just relating that even back then it was an area that changed in a matter of a turn or 2. As long as you are alert & willing to take a cab if necessary then you should be fine. Common sense is the most important thing to bring with you.

It is wonderful to have people come here that don't expect it to be like Disney. You will enjoy the architecture & charm of the different areas. Each neighborhood has a different personality.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Dan,
I signed up so I could post only because, for the first time, there was a thread that I had some information I could share. I've used this site for information but never had anything I could share.

John,
You won't be dissapointed if you choose to stay at Elysian Fields Inn. And, just as a little hint, the big pink po'boy shop on the corner of St. Claude and Elysian Fields had the best po'boy we had on our visit. Don't remember the name but will never forget the color.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Dan

I am very glad you enjoyed it! I wouldn't stay in that St. Claude neighborhood, personally, but I'm very glad that people are staying there to make it "up and coming." Thanks for the comments!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I agree, I would not want to stay in that area. I drive by there M-F on the way to work and def. would not encourage a tourist to wander around there. I have no idea how great the place is, but would be willing to bet you could find just as good in a better area. Good luck and have fun!

Chazz
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Just following up on our trip to New Orleans since I had originally started this one with my question. We did stay at Elysian Fields Inn and could not imagine a better choice. After reading all of the reviews on Tripadvisor.com, we were both bit hesitant because it just seemed too good for the price. But, it was in our budget and we went with our first impression and booked. We are both so glad that we did. The Inn is beautiful and yes, it is the same AAA rating as the hotels. They've had their 4 Diamond rating for just a few months but one can certainly see how they got it. The rooms were extremely nice and very clean. The breakfasts were great and they give you a menu that changes each day. Also, being able to order breakfast when we wanted and eating at our own table made a big difference each morning. Not much of a morning person and I don't particularly like sitting at the big breakfast table with a bunch of other people first thing in the morning.

The other great thing was the area that we were in. Not at all sure what people were saying about it being bad and I honestly think that the 'locals' that posted here are doing their city a real disservice by talking the way they do. We walked during the day and we walked late at night and never felt unsafe at all. We are from New York City so maybe that helps but a little street smarts is all anyone needs anywhere they travel. I've felt much more unsafe in L.A. when travelling there. We spent most of our nights on Frenchmen Street and at the clubs there and it was just so nice to be able to walk a couple of blocks and be home. Even when we walked back from the French Quarter, it never took us more than 15-20 minutes.
The entire trip was just great. A bit hot and humid, but great. Ate at Commander's Palace one night and, while it was really good, I personally think it was a bit overrated. Expensive. Jacque Imo's one night and K-Pauls another night. Those were our 'big' nights out. The other meals were at Adolfo's on Frenchmen Street (great Italian) and then the Innkeepers suggested Marigny Brasserie which is also on Frenchmen. Probably one of the best meals that we had on our stay.
Anyway, we loved New Orleans, loved the food, people and just the whole city in general. Couldn't have been happier with our choice of accommodations and can't imagine staying anywhere else if we are ever lucky enough to get back.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM

John,
Glad you had a great time here. It's nice to hear the good review of Elysian Fields Inn. We were not trying to do any disservice to that area but I wanted to tell you the same thing I would tell anyone I knew that asked. All we do here is give you our impressions or advice. What you do with it is up to you.

The general area is on the rise & that is excellent. It can be a roll of the dice as to safety at times. Since you are from NY then you are probably a bit more alert & accepting. Someone from a small town in the Midwest might not be as alert & would like to know any negatives as well.

Isn't it amazing how many "faces" the city has? Each area is slightly different but interesting all the same. Sounds like you found the best that it had to offer.