Location New Orleans Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a cruise departing from NO. I am thrilled to be visiting NO for the first time. Our cruise leaves 29 Jan. The only feasible time to stay in NO would be prior to the cruise. I am trying to locate a hotel that would be close to the French Quarter but maybe on the outskirts. I have been wondering about Hotel Dauphine. This seems to get constantly good reviews on trip advisor. It is in the french quarter but people say it is quiet. We are 50'ish and would like a romantic getaway. Any thoughts on hotels in the area reasonably priced would be appreciated.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Have you (or anyone) compared the Omni Royal Orleans, Le Meridian, or the Ritz-Carlton ?

Curious to know where Dauphine fits in with the above.

Our last stay was at a rental home on Bourbon Street that was just outside the barricades and was peaceful. We're up for something different for March...
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Yes I have looked at those you mention. For the time frame they are quite expensive and some require 4 night minimums. Dauphine Orleans has been spoken of on these boards as a recent review. It is in the French Quarter, and they also require a 3 night minimum. I can do 3 but not 4. I forgot to mention we will not have transportation. I need to address this very soon. It would appear to be filling up quickly during this time frame. This is the week prior to Madi Gras.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:03 AM
Dan

How about a B&B in the Marigny, which is one of the "hot" neighborhoods in town now. It would be just outside the French Quarter "action" but walkable. Prices may be lower, too. I hang out on Frenchmen Street (lots of cool bars) and have really started appreciating this area even more.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:35 AM

What is your price range? Any special things you'd like in a place to stay? Do you need parking for a car? We had friends stay at the Hotel Monteleone. They got a deluxe room that faced the river. Other rooms are available for less but are smaller with less view. It is on Royal St in the Quarter & reminds you of an elegant Fred Astaire type hotel. The Carousel Bar revolves & is a nice place to have a drink & relax.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:49 AM

The Hotel Dauphine is right in the Quarter and should be quiet enough and surely charming and romantic. I also use and trust (generally) tripadvisor.com.
I live in NOLA and have a friend who just booked a hotel for her cruise out of NOLA. She got the Sheraton CBD through hotwire for about $90-all inclusive.

You know, of course, that you will be coming during carnival season and the prices will be outlandish. On the positive side- you will be able to experience the debauchery and decadence that is carnival. Enjoy. Tim
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mits--Yes you are so right about the prices. Wed.Thursday are not bad but that Friday night, the prices tripled on some rooms. Jan 28th p.m. Oh well. What am I to do.
Dan a good idea about the Marigny. I have narrowed the choices down to a B&B La Maison Marigny.
B and W Courtyards
Parkview Marigny
Dauphine Orleans.
I just need to decide which one. Since I have never been to any I suppose I would be happy. This La Maison seems to be within walking distance yet outside of the French Quarter. Any other inputs I would appreciate. All prices are the about the same.
Thanks so much.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Dan

La Maison Marigny and Parkview Marigny are both pretty close to Esplanade. B&W Courtyards is across Elysian Fields. I don't know that area as well. Dauphine Orleans is a hotel in the Quarter and not a B&B but I assuming you're including it as a hotel alternative?

Also, check tripadvisor.com for reviews. I think all four properties do well on this so you won't have any trouble there.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes Dan, I have researched all of the establishments on tripadvisor and I can tell you that La Maison Marigny really has outstanding comments on a consistant basis. I was not necessarily intent on a b&b and the Daphine Orleans seems to have a lot of chracter, charm. They all include the continental breakfast. I guess I wanted the charm which is why I have included this hotel. One good thing about the B&b's is the owners seem to offer help, assistance on tours, etc. for people such us who have never been there before. That I am sure would be helpful and appreciated by us. It would be more personal than a hotel I am sure. Well thanks for your time.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
Dan

Perhaps someone can correct me here, but I think the Dauphine Orleans used to be a bordello or has some bordello connection. I always thought that was kinda cool. The Provincial Hotel is supposedly haunted, which also draws some folks (but not me!) to it.

Which cruise are you taking? For a Saturday departure, I'm assuming Norweigan or Royal Caribbean?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM

I'm one of those people who really enjoyed our stay at La Maison Marigny. Very nice room, with wonderful hosts. Only four rooms, nice decorating, beer in the fridge, and access to their computer to check your e-mail.

I've never stayed at the Dauphine, but have had friends who have. Much more of a hotel type experience.

Have a great time. Jean
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM

The Hotel Provincial would be a great choice if you don't want a B & B. It is very quiet (ghosts notwithstanding) and just a block away from the river. If you would like to stay here, I recommend that you don't take a room in Building 5 which is directly on the river because it is kind of musty. Everywhere else is wonderful.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

We are taking Royal Caribbean. Yes the Provincial also looks intriguing. Ghosts hey? Well that would certainly be an interesting experience, it would be the highlight of my trip!! I would love it----I think(?) As long as they are not angry ghosts that is fine. The La Maison is 50% full. They only have 2 rooms right now available for those dates. I need to decide quickly.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:32 PM

Stayed at La Maison Marigny in 2000 and again in 2001. Loved it. I see from the website that they have upgraded the rooms. I'd definitely recommend it. If I go to New Orleans again soon (I'm overdue!) I will stay there or wherever the guys who own it recommend. They have their "fingers on the pulse" of the city.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
Dan

The Royal Caribbean cruise is a good one. I forget which ship they have here now but my wife and I took the "Grandeur of the Seas" last year and enjoyed it. You'll have a great time. It'll be somewhat of a zoo when you return (the Saturday of the "big" Mardi Gras weekend) but it's so early that you'll be out of downtown before the parades start.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

That is the same ship "Grandeur of the Sea" we are departing on. This will be our second RC Cruise. I am glad to hear positive comments as it is somewhat older. Our other cruise was Radiance of the Sea, much newer. I don't care as long as it is clean. I don't care about the Rock climbing etc. the new ones all have. I am beyond those days!!

I booked today, the b&b La Maison Marigny. Now I have to start planning the days I will he there. I know there is a wealth of info on the subject here on fodors. I am wondering if that Steamboat ride is worth it? I will also want to check out the restaurants. Nothing real fancy just some great NO cooking will do just fine. Thanks you all for your help. Now lets just hope we get out of here o.k. We are flying from Philly. The weather can be brutal that time of year.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM

The Steamboat ride is ok, but it may be kinda cool that time of year. If you decide to go be sure to sit on the land side of the boat when you board (that's where the best views are) and don't go to the dinner cruise - there's too many other good places to eat! You might want to look at a cooking class if the weather is nippy. Have fun and enjoy the city!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:58 AM

Print out the 2 for 1 coupons in the Good Times Guide for the paddlewheeler. Plenty of excellent resturants- my favs- Quarter Scene, Petunias, Gumbo shop, Clover Grill, Murials.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
Dan

I agree with BudgetQueen about Muriels. It's wonderful!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM

I'll second Petunia's, though I've only been for breakfast/brunch. Get the New Ibera Omelet if you go!
Also, if you don't mind venturing out of the Quarter, try Jacques-Imo's on Oak Street "Uptown". It's where I tell everyone to go!
Also, check out the boat trip on the river to the zoo. Whether you do the zoo or not, you can then catch the St. Charles Ave. street car back to the Quarter. It's a great way to see both scenes!