Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - Hotels...Looking for romantic, CLEAN, "authentic" New Orleans hotel in Jackson Sq/French quarter for anniversary weekend!

New Orleans - Hotels...Looking for romantic, CLEAN, "authentic" New Orleans hotel in Jackson Sq/French quarter for anniversary weekend!

Nov 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Can someone help me? I am looking to stay in one of those great "french quarter" hotels. I would like one that is quaint and authentic, preferably w/antiques, balconies and/or courtyard view and NOT on bourbon street. Any suggestions? I have viewed most of the 4 and 5 star hotels but most of those are Large hotels. I do want something nice but it does not have to be a 5 star. This is my anniversary and I mostly want a nice atmosphere. Thanks for any help!
Nov 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Okay, it's on Bourbon Street, but the Royal Sonesta has wonderful inside corner rooms overlooking their courtyard/pool area. You do NOT want the rooms overlooking Bourbon Street unless you want to vicariously party until the wee hours of the night/morning.

It's definitely "one of those great French Quarter hotels."
Nov 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I haven't stayed in either of them, but if you don't want the Royal Sonesta, the Maison de Ville (small) and the Hotel Monteleone (historic) also come to mind.

www.maisondeville.com
www.hotelmonteleone.com
Nov 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I will research that one! Do you know anything about the Soniat House?
Nov 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM

My friends like the following:

Maison De Ville
Place D'Armes
Le Richelieu
Dauphine Orleans
Monteleone
Royal Sonesta
Nov 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Maison de ville looks interesting...I think another friend mentioned that as well. Thank you!
Nov 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM

The Monteleone is my personal favorite. Even if you don't stay there, you'll need to have a drink at the bar. I also like the Maison Dupuy & the restaurant there is also a bit of a secret outside of the locals. Dominique's.
Nov 20th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I'll second Place d'Arms. Fits your description.
Nov 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Try the Hotel St. Marie.
Nov 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM

We always stay on Bourbon, but I've heard very good things about the Place D'Armes, also.
Nov 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM

I recommend the following:

Le Richelieu
Dauphine Orleans
Hotel St. Marie
The Provencial

Some have free parking which is great if you will have a car...u don't need a car though and are probably better off without one.

Don't stay on Bourbon St. The Royal Sonesta is very nice, but not what I think you are looking for. I'd pick Dauphine Orleans in a heart beat if you can get a room. Small European style hotel and there's a ghost in the bar...used to be a brothel.
Nov 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM

i give another nod to hotel st marie- you're close to action but it's quiet. very nice, rmantic-we liked it very much!!
Nov 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM

One word:

Monteleone.
Nov 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I also recommend the Provincial.
www.hotelprovincial.com

We'vce stayed there for many years, most recently about two weeks ago.

Yesterday we received a brochure from the hotel with several special offers.

Have a wonderful trip!

Byrd
Nov 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Dan

If you are interested in bed and breakfasts, check out www.bbnola.com. Many B&Bs would seem to meet your requirements and many are within walking distance of the French Quarter. Generally cheaper, too!
Nov 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM

We stayed at the Place d'Armes a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't know the star rating, but I'd probably give it a 3 based on our experience. It is a neat place and definitely fits the quaint and authentic criteria, I just don't think it has quite the polish around the edges to be 4 star. The location is great though - side street just off Jackson Square and a block and a half from Bourbon street, so very convinient to lots of things, but in a relatively quiet area.
Nov 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM

You have to be careful with Place D'Armes as well as other hotels. My parents stayed there many years ago and had a small inside room with no windows. But other rooms are very nice. BTW...I did a quick search for rooms at the Dauphine Orleans in early March and it looks like you would have trouble getting a room there during that time. You didn't mention when you are planning your trip.
Nov 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM

You might also want to look at Hotel Villa Convento...it is on Ursulines way back in the quarter. The owners have been fixing it up for many years. It is quite small and off the beaten path.
Nov 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM

When we stayed at the Place d'Armes, we had a balcony room overlooking St. Ann - room 302, I believe. Having that balcony was great. My husband generally sleeps later than I do, so it was nice to have the balcony to go out onto and have coffee, read, plan the day, people watch, etc. It was also nice in the evenings - one night we got some beer and snacks at the A&P and then just sat out playing cards.

That trip, I had originally reserved a balcony room, but we had to change the dates of our trip and no balcony rooms were available for our new dates. When we checked in though, I asked if a balcony room had become available and one had. They upgraded us but still charged us the lower rate for a non-balcony room. I thought that was very nice.
Dec 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM

So starrshack...have you made a decision. I'm interested to hear what plan you came up with. I haven't been to NOLA since before Katrina, but I'm anxious to go back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO