Reload this Page >

Need advice about Pony Express Haleakala Tour on Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Lisa

My husband and I are considering a Haleakala crater tour with Pony Express Tours. It sounds like great fun but I wouldn't know for sure since neither one of us has ever ridden a horse before. Please tell me if you have been on this tour and if you feel that this tour is a good idea for first time riders.

The ride is approximately 7-8 miles round trip, and includes a stop midway for lunch. I went to their website which states that they regularly take first time riders. That, of course, does not necessarily mean that first time riders enjoy it. Please share your opinions and advice. Thanks very much.

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:40 PM
T

My sister and I went on the Pony Express Haleakala Tour and it was great. We were both first time riders and were very nervous but it was wonderful. Our guide gave us a quick safety lesson and instructions on how to ride (guide) the horses and then we hit the trail. When we reached the bottom of the crater we had lunch. After the ride down, a sandwich and cup of juice tastes heavenly. The scenery is awesome. This was the best tour that we took on Maui, second only to the helicopter tour of Kauai. Hope this helps. Happy Trails.

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Lisa

T, thanks. Yes, your post helps alot. I am very happy to hear that 2 novice riders like my husband and myself really enjoyed the tour. I think I will book it. By the way, did you receive a discount? Just wondering if there are any discounts or coupons out there for Pony Express Tours.

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:35 PM
T

Lisa, we did not find any coupons, paid full price. Be sure to wear a hat and bring sunscreen, don't forget to put it on the backs of your hands. You will enjoy the ride, just hold on, the horses know where to go.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Lisa

T -thanks for the tips. This tour definitely sounds like fun to ME, but it looks like I'm going to have to convince my husband. It turns out that he's not wild about the idea of horseback riding. Hopefully I'll talk him into giving it a try.

My only concern is that I have no idea if I'll like horseback riding, and once I start the tour, I'll be committed for approximately 4 hours on horseback. That's quite a long time.

Were you sore after riding for that long? If we go, it will be on our first full day in Hawaii, and I don't want to spend the next few days uncomfortable. Also, when did you go? It will probably be very hot on horseback in August.

Thanks again for your help!

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Lisa

ttt Just trying one more time. Thanks.

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:25 PM
T

Lisa, we were there from July 30 to Aug. 10. I think we rode on our second day there. The guide will tell you how to position your feet in the stirrups and it keeps you from getting sore. I was a little sore but, (I am short 5'2" and heavy) my stirrups were just a little low for me and would not go any higher. My sister (who is taller 5'9") had no soreness at all. By the way, she is scared of horses, I talked her into it. She had a wonderful time. You are so amazed by the scenery that you can almost forget you are on a horse. When you get back be sure and post a trip report so we know how you liked it!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:03 AM
T

topping for Lisa

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Lisa

T, thanks for getting back to me. I am going to have my husband read your responses to my questions. It sounds like if your sister had a good time, my husband coud enjoy it as well. I'd really like to try some activities on this trip that I have never experienced before.

I am 5'5", so hopefully I won't have any problems. It was good to hear that you didn't find the ride too hot in August. And, I will certainly post a trip report when I get back.

Thanks again!