Need a Fantastic NYC Hotel

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Fantastic NYC Hotel

My husband and I are planning a "babymoon" in NYC this November. I want to stay somewhere GREAT. I will be 7mo pregnant, so I think that having a fairly large room with lots of creature comforts will be important as I will be spending more time actually in the room. (Extra bonus if the hotel has a spa!) I would like to stay perhaps in Midtown or another nice area from which it will be easy to get around the city.
The top end of our budget is $500 a night, but I hope to find something for less.

I have looked at lots of old posts on this board, but am still lost.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
GoTravel

When in November? I ask because the first weekend or Thanksgiving through the end of November you will not find the Marriott Marquis for $500.

Otherwise, $500 will get you a very nice suite at Le Parker Meridian, Michelangelo, Salisbury, Iriquois and the like.

$500 will get you a standard room at The Carlyle, St.Regis, Ritz-Carlton, Pierre, Mark, Plaza-Athenee, etc.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel. Our dates are Nov 4-15.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I would reco checking out the hotel web sites to see if they have any special packages including spa services etc - which might help reduce your actual costs.

For that time of year - and a truly luxe hotel - $500 might well be a problem - I think you're going to need to shop carefully - and ASAP - and stay more with the 4*+ plus than the 5* places (which are more like $700-$800 for a basic room at that time of year).
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

NY Traveler,
Do you have any specific recs about hotels that you think are nice in the $400-500 range?
Thanks so much!
Robin
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:23 PM
GoTravel

Robin, November 4-7th is going to be very expensive because it is the weekend of the NYC Marathon. The city sells out.

Are you opposed to changing hotels?

What about renting an apartment?

Standard rooms in moderate hotels will cost you near $500 marathon weekend.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Some options I'd consider

The Giraffe Hotel is a small boutique hotel in the flatiron/union square area. It's known for service. They have a 1 bedroom suite listed on quikbook.com that ranges from $429-525 on your dates.

The Benjamin is midtown on the east side, an all suite hotel and their 1 bedroom king suite is $469-499 on your dates on the same website.

The Michelangelo is a lovely European style hotel in the theater district (but not right in the middle of the brooha) for $425 and up depending on size of room.

The Surrey (or the Surrey area of the upper east side) would probably be my first choice in your shoes. The area is quiet but not far from midtown. Lots of good baby shops if you're looking for stuff. It's near the museums, nice restaurants and good services. The Surrey is part of the Affinia group (as is the Benjamin). The Mark Hotel and the Carlyle are in the same area. Not sure what their prices would be.

There are many more options that seem to fall within your budget. I saw the Sofitel also within your budget but it would be for a regular room. Some people might say none of these are GREAT. I opted for space rather than opulence or spas. Some mentioned may have in house spas (the Benjamin might) but there are so many day spas everywhere I thought more space would be preferable to bells and whistles.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM

topping for robin
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM

mclaurie has given you a list of very nice hotels within your price range for that weekend.

I haven;t been able to find any that I would consider really "fantastic" - the Pierre, Mandarin, Plaza Athenee, Ritz - within your price range for that weekend.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I'll second Hotel Giraffe - stayed there in June and loved it. We had a king size room - not a suite - and I was still impressed with how big it was. Very nice bathroom and bedroom. Bathrobes included. FREE bottled water in the room and anytime you wanted it in the lobby! Breakfast included was nothing fancy (cereal, pastry, fruit) but did the trick. We had a little balcony off our room, but was only big enough to stand on and peer out onto the street. There's also a wine and cheese reception (free) every evening. We would *definitely* return.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:09 AM
GoTravel

Love the Surrey Hotel! Huge rooms which is a rarity in NYC.

Forgot about that hotel.