Hotel Check In Ages?

Search

Hotel Check In Ages?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Check In Ages?

Most hotels in the U.S. i notice have a minimum check in age of 18. But alot in New Orleans require you be 21. I'll be 19 when i take my trip there. I wanted to book the doubletree on canal st. Nowhere on their site when booking is their a minimum age, but on other hotel booking sites i see it says 21. They dont ask for age when you book either. If i booked, do you really think they'd turn us away for being 19 when im IDed at the front desk? its hard to believe theyd force us to find somewhere else to stay last minute. Do you think i can get away with it or should i not even chance it?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Don't chance it. When in doubt, call the hotel. You could be w/o a room.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I was just going to post the same as mclaurie. Call them and ask.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
GoTravel

There is no across the board standard in the US for minimum age.

In my hotels, the minimum was always 25 years old.

If you don't call and ask, you risk being turned away at the front desk and it does happen. I've first hand experience.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Q...The website references "minimum check in age" but is not specific.Better to be safe than sorry.Best of Luck..
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I can't imagine a decent hotel in New Orleans allowing a 19 year old to check in. Regardless of your background, I'm sure they would be likely to assume the room will be taken over by a BUNCH of underaged drinkers and partiers. Right or wrong, that's probably why they have a minimum age.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
cd

Queenser
When our daughter was married she and her husband were both under age 25 so we had to co-sign for them at the hotel they stayed at on their wedding night. Maybe you could call your hotel and ask if one of your parents could co-sign. I know it sounds dumb but hey, it might work.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM

So, you can vote, marry, function as a citizen in the republic (and even die for your country), but your money ("good for all debts leagally tendered")is no good at a hotel?! That and car rental restrictions don't seem fair (after all, if you are a party of teens, they can boot you).
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM

We went thru this when our son (17) and some friends (18) wanted to stay overnight at a hotel on Long Island, NY after a concert. We found different hotels have different age limits. When I posted here, I got some responses citing age discrimination, saying if you can pay for it what difference did it make, etc.

We decided not to take the chance of him finding himself at midnight with no place to sleep. I would guess that in addition to individual hotel policy, it would also be up to individual desk clerk, your appearance and demeanor. But I would still not risk it. And yes, I could believe that they would turn you away at check-in.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Besides the actual age they judge on circummstances. I traveled for business before I was 21 (and definitely looked younger) and never had a problem but - it was a corporate rerservation - and I was well-dressed, briefcased etc.

On the other hand - a bunch of rattily dressed 20 year olds - who look like they're going to party and cause trouble will never be allowed in. And even if one or two 20 year olds (and oftren older in upscale places) are allowed - the hotel often requires a significant security deposit. (And who can blame them - except for certain well-known rock stars adults usually don;t get fallingdown drunk, trash rooms or require to be removed by the police.)
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Pick up the phone and call the Doubletree. Anyone can book online. But, if you (obviously) do not meet their requirements at the front desk, you may not be allowed to check in. I wouldn't count on their being the least bit sympathetic for "last minute", since they have their rules for good reasons.

If you're determined to stay at the Doubletree, just find out on the phone the specifics of their requirements and how you can meet them or if you cannot.

When my son was under 21/25 and traveled all over, I was often able to assure he'd be able to check in with a phone call. But, just as often, it was just not possible.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. my mom used to be a travel agent and she told me she thinks i can pull it off but like alot of you said, better safe than sorry. its only going to be 2 of us taking the trip. Im hoping if i call maybe they can make an acception, or i might try the co-signing idea. Again, thanks alot for your replies!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM

You can always get a room at your age at the "Youth Hostel"
www.hiayh.org

I moonlight a pt job at a hotel. Could you get turned away at the last moment? Yes, YES, YES!