NC is out, where to go to be cool...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Yankee and I were booked to stay in a Timeshare for a week in July. Perfect timing as I hear Fl gets a bit hot and humid in the summer. Plans fell through (Pups are not welcome)so we are now re-thinking Somewhere Cool in the Summer plans.
My request here is for any ideas.
The idea is being able to drive there with the Pup.
Otherwise, a week in England, Montreal or POrtland Oregon are tempting..but lets stick to the car trip first
Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Scarlett
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:57 AM

The mountains of north Georgia are a cooler than the surrounding area. Rome or Helen or Delonegha. I haven't been in years and don't recall if it stays cool in the summer.

Too bad about Cashiers. It's really a great place for the summer months. Maybe Tennessee would work, although I've not been there. You should aim for August, Scarlett. If you think July is hot and humid in Florida, just wait till August.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Scarlett, would you like mountains, lake, river, highlands, valleys? What would you like to do? Why is NC out? There have to be more places to stay in NC than a Timeshare you mentioned. Mountins of Georgia, NC, Tennessee are cool. Cashiers have many places to stay where pets are welcome. Flat Rock, NC suppose to be a great place to stay and I bet there are accommodations where you could stay with your pets. Did you check Hendersonville area?
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Scarlett,

Sorry to hear about Pup--I guess they still have that state law about dogs and rentals. It is a little cooler in northern GA, but not guaranteed during the day.

Have you thought about the New England coast? They seem more animal-friendly up there and the coast of Maine is so beautiful.

Are you a recent FL transplant? If so, it's a good time to escape--but you still have August and September to live through!
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks!
Yes, a recent transplant, we moved here in January from NYC.
The timeshare said no dogs, but they had kennels..how could I do that to poor Pup ?
I know, August and Septmeber will be brutal, maybe we will work on August instead..
I will research the Ga Mountains, thank you ,Tandoori Girl.
We live near enough to the ocean not to need that, so I am thinking mountains will be cool and green and a break.
Maine is not a bad idea, except that it is so incredibly crowded in summer, we have friends who live on Mt Desert Island. I was hoping for a calm spot, sort of out of the main tourist destinations.
While the Adirondacks are also possible, I still would prefer a shorter drive..have to check out Tennessee too
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:59 PM

When you live near the ocean, it's amazing how the mountains come calling you every once in awhile. Isn't that right, dear Scarlett?
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Scarlett,
I would look into Blackberry Farm in the mountains of east Tennessee. Its consistently ranked as one of the top hotels/inns in the world...as the rates would indicate.That being said , I have heard extroadinary things about it....www.blackberryfarm.com..what a great get-away!
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
We will look over the Blackberry Farm tomorrow, but something tells me they won't be thrilled if I bring Pup
Yes, Statia, having the ocean nearby is lovely, but it does make me miss the mountains~
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Since you're checking out the North GA mountains, check out the Dillard Inn. It's somewhat of a mini-resort--horseback riding, tennis, and pool. The Dillard house restaurant is infamous in that area--all you can eat homestyle/country and it's actually good. Unless the rules have changed they allow pets. The nicest rooms are the new ones at "the end" of the line of motel rooms. All the rooms have patios with rocking chairs and nice views. The inn also has chalets up the road but I don't know much about them.

Sky Valley is a very nice resort about 15 miniutes up the mountain from Dillard and it will be cooler. It's still in GA so pup might be welcome. They have rental condos and homes, golf, tennis, rec center etc. They have their own rental department and local realtors also handle rental units there. A very good friend of ours has a lovely home there that they lease. If you find that the area appeals to you, and they'll let you take the pup, I'd be happy to put you in touch. From Sky Valley you can easily get to Highland and Cashiers.

July is peak season in that area. It will get less crowded in August and it's wonderful in September.
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:47 PM

What did you think about Blackberry Farm...?Their website is amazing..I hear their cuisine is as well...
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

capri, that website made me want to drop everything and go there tomorrow!
It was really lovely and I thought that even though it is not going to be right for us now-there might be a week or few days that the Yankee might want to be alone with me and that would be an ideal spot for a romantic getaway~

jayne-thanks So much! I am looking it up right away..Georgia is fine, as is NC..I just like the idea of the cool mountains, remembering childhood jaunts to Grandfather Mt and Blowing Rock..also, summers in NY usually included at least one trip up to Lake George/Adirondacks/Hudson Valley..it just seems to be natural to be in the mountains in the summer~I do think we will work on this for August too.
Thanks so much all of you for your suggestions..
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Please let us know if you find a place that will take pup!
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM

North Georgia is nice. But Cashiers is heaven!

(Ignore me. We people from Tampa have this thing for Cashiers. Don't know what it is but I wish I were there now)
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Scarlett,
www.abovetherestcabins.com in
Blue Ridge, Ga was highly recommended to me as a pet friendly, upscale accommodation. Not sure of the elevation and temp for summer, though. Our great find for pet friendly has been a home in
Maggie Valley listed by www.realestateadventures.com at
45 Kings Ridge. It is affordable, very
well furnished and decorated with a
view, a large wrap around deck and
a stream. Maggie is not as upscale
as Highlands and Cashiers, but is
the same elevation and much closer
to Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smoky NP (which is only partially dog friendly). The queen mattress is a little uncomfortable, but we took our own
mattress pad and it was fine. We have stayed 4 day visits and as much as 2 weeks. Also, we take an expandable child's gate to put across the entrance to the deck to provide a safe outside area for our Alfie to not
take an unplanned hike. This company has a few other pet friendly
accommodations and if you do a search for Maggie Valley rentals, you will find quite a few pet friendly rentals.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:10 AM

If you're willing to consider self-catering, Anderson Mountain Rentals has numerous pet-friendly homes/cabins in the NC mtns: www.rentourcabins.com

Our Britanny was very happy with their services.
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Tandoori Girl-

You are so right--just driving into Highlands on the way up just kind makes your stress melt away. THat's where we hope to retire many moons down the road. I'm envious of those who get to spend their entire summers there. As you know, you see more Florida license plates than NC plates!

We won't be making our annual trip there this summer for the first time in ages. The kids have too much going on this summer--that happens with teenagers. However, we insist on what we call FFFs (forced family fun)for at least two weeks each summer. In other words, you will go, you will have fun and you will not complain that you don't have AOL!