The NC Outerbanks or Florida Panhandle???

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NC Outerbanks or Florida Panhandle???

I am trying to decide between The Outerbanks or the Destin Beach area of the Florida Panhandle. We want to relax, maybe ride bikes and eat good seafood! Both locations are about the same driving distance for us. I need YOUR opinion for nice family vacation in August. Thanks for your help!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally don't like the Outer Banks in August. Too humid and too crowded. There's a huge majority of folks who don't agree with me however, since this is the high season for the OB. It will meet your requirements but if you do choose this destination, book NOW. Places for late June, July and August are often booked a year ahead.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:43 AM

I have never been to the place you mentioned in Florida...but I love the outer banks. There are areas that are less crowded than others...we stayed in Corolla last August and the beaches were not crowded at all. The restaurants seemed to be packed...but we ate in most of the time. We went with 3 other couples and took turns making a big dinner. We had a blast!!

We stayed there the week before labor day so I suppose a lot of kids were back in school. Rates drop in late August too...we booked in February with no problems.

good luck!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:57 AM
cd

We've been to both and enjoyed both. Don't think you could go wrong with either. The Panhandle inches out to first place in our estimation because of the soft white sands and clear blue waters. Why not do one beach this summer and the other beach next summer?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

cd-I like the way you think. Where would you recommend staying on the Florida Panhandle? Not too touristy? and we would need a kitchen.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:23 PM
cd

Hi Robinchip
We have stayed at Panama City and had a really good time renting pontoon boats and parasailing but it is crowded and you don't ever want to go during Spring Break. We enjoyed Pensacola as it is not as crowded a PC. This year there will be ten of us at Navarre Beach. We understand we can rent boats there and bikes. Let me send you this "rent by owner" site. It covers most property on the Panhandle in many locations. I have heard good things about Destin but have never stayed there. http://vrbo.com/vrbo/flpanhandle.htm#Pensacola+Beach Hope this helps. Have a great time!