Naples - hotel choice

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples - hotel choice

I can't decide to book at Inn at Pelican Bay or Inn on 5th. Which is the nicer of the two or any other suggestions. Does not have to be on the beach and we don't want to pay Ritz prices. We want nice accomodations), area, etc.

Thanks
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I'm not familiar with Pelican Bay but I did stay at the Inn on 5th about 4 yrs ago. It was lovely, clean and well located downtown but felt more like a business place than a vacation place. The pool is small & located in the back of the parking lot. We drove (a few blocks) to the beach & were able to find parking but you need to bring your own beach chairs.

The Escalante is often mentioned here as a good downtown hotel but rooms there are evidently smallish & people have suggested getting a SUPERIOR double which is a bit bigger.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

I just read a new place is opening up called: Bellasera. I'm not familiar with Naples and not sure of where the location is. Are you famiiar with this new condo/resort?

We do not have to be on the beach, we want location, romantic setting and very nice accommodations. We will be renting a car.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I'm NOT an expert on Naples having only been there once! Another frequent poster here, Patrick, lives there. He usually checks in daily so hopefully he'll see your post.

Naples is quite spread out but if you're planning on renting a car, there are really no "bad" locations I know of. Problems arise when people want to stay "in town" to be within walking distance of restaurants yet be on the beach. There are NO places that fit that bill. All the resort places including the Ritz Carlton that are on the beach are a drive away. The Ritz is about 20 min drive north of town.

On doing a web search, the new place you mention is on 9th st south. Here's a URL for a map of Naples where you can plug in different addresses & it shows where they are.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...ry=us&resize=s

The Bellasera opens Dec 15th I think.

Here's a link to 2 user reviews of Pelican Bay Inn. You should also be able to get reviews of the other Naples hotels at the same location. Since you will have a car, if you don't mind driving to eat out, you can really stay anywhere.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s_Florida.html

If you want to be in town, check out the Esacalante.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

You are terrific. thanks for all the links. I did peruse some of them earlier last week.

I hope PATRICK IS OUT THERE. I've seen his responses to some of the others. I think he mentioned Inn At Pelican as being very nice.

I wish I wasn't being so "anal" about this but we, like most want our vacation to be in a nice place. We don't mind driving to all the shops/restaurants.

Thanks so much again....
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM

You're welcome Naples is beautiful. You'll have a great time.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

LOOKING FOR PATRICK...HELP.....
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 02:36 PM

OK, here I am, in New York City for a while, but checking in as usual.

The Inn on Fifth and Inn at Pelican Bay were built and owned by same person and are very similar in rooms and facilities -- quite nice. The main difference is that the Inn at Pelican Bay, although close to the Ritz (about a quarter mile inland) is really not in the center of anything. It is probably even more of a business hotel than the Inn on Fifth, which is right in the heart of the dining and entertainment center of Naples. Inn on Fifth's pool is really nothing special at all if that means anything to you.

Escalante is very nice, probably a lot more expensive and is a couple blocks towards the beach from the Inn on Fifth, but also a great location. Rooms can be small there, so most people have suggested you'd really want to upgrade to a larger room.

The new Bellerosa is right on US 41, a busy area, but only about two blocks from the start of Fifth Avenue South and the things mentioned above. It's on the site of the old Howard Johnson's and then later called Naples Inn and Suites which has been torn town for this new project. It is essentially a "condo" hotel, with investors who have purchased individual units and they are put into a rental pool sort of situation. I am under the impression that it is all suites or apartments, but I don't really know the specifics, other than that the units sold for a couple hundred thousand each for the smaller units.

I hope this is enough information to go by. My personal choice would probably be the Inn on Fifth -- or Escalante if the budget allows it and you want more "romantic" in feel.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answser my questions.

It comes down now to Inn on 5th or Bella Serra. (Escalante is $100+) more a night.

We just want to make sure the hotel has a nice spacious room and nice ambiance.

As I mentioned, we don't have to be in walking distance to everything but I guess once we are there, we will probably be glad we chose a hotel close to the restaurants/shopping.

What I liked about the Bella Serra is that it's brand new and the rooms seem very spacious.

I will call Inn on the 5th to see what the rate is. I've already checked on Bella Serra.

I see your in New York tonight...we are ready to watch my Boston Red Sox. Hope your going to root for them...smile

Thanks so much again and anything else you can add before I decide (tommorrow is decision day). I'll look for a response...

GO RED SOX!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:25 PM

I guess I'll chime in again & ask what you plan on doing while there? If you want to sit at a pool, Inn on Fifth is not the place. WHEN do you plan to go? If it's near the opening of Bellasera I'd think twice. New places often have problems at opening ( and sometimes don't open on time!). If you enjoy strolling, Inn on Fifth is terrific.

Good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I think either should be fine, but when are you coming? A couple weeks ago when I left Naples it looked like Bella Serra was far from being done, and probably delayed as most of Naples' building projects are.
I think you'd be happy with either, and the rooms at Inn on Fifth are sizeable, but not overly generous, just really nicely done fairly typical hotel rooms. I suspect that the suites or whatever they are at Bella Serra will be larger.

Will you have a car by the way?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

WE will be coming down in Feb. Haven't rented a car yet.

So, here's the latest. We ended up booking at Inn at Pelican Bay. I agree that Bella Serra may have problems and the Inn at 5th was very high. Pelican Bay gave me the same rate I saw on Orbitz. Penthouse King Deluxe.

Hope we made the right choice.

We plan to visit some relatives one night for dinner, go the beach, shop, eat out and maybe drive around to look at Model Homes possibly in Bonita Springs.

Eventually, we want to relocate if the job market opens up for my husband.

Right now, we live and work in the DC area and are burned out here. That's why we like to scout around at model homes whenever we go down to Florida. We also like the Sarasota area very much.

Looking forward to visiting Naples. Seems like a lovely place for a winter vacation.

You two have been great, anything else you can think of, I'm always checking online here at this forum.

thanks so much....
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Just an update. I changed reservations today for the larger room w/patio at Tthe Escalante. (we canceled the Inn at Pelican Bay)

I got a very good rate.

I think we will be happier in that location rather than where the Inn At Pelican Bay is.

Looks like a very romantic place. I will post when it gets closer to leaving (February) for restaurant suggestions.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Wow. Great to hear about the special rate at Escalante. Especially with a larger room, I think you'll be infinitely happier than at Pelican Bay -- amazed at the price (what is it if I may ask?)

I think the new Bice is scheduled to open by February -- right across the street from Escalante.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Patrick,

There was a special on one of the sites and I called Escalante and told them about it but asked if I could get upgraded when I got there because I had read that the standard rooms were extremely small.

He checked with the manager and told me I'd be upgraded to $205/night..Parlor room with terrace.

He was a nice guy and really worked with me to get that price for that time of year. Now, let's just hope we get that room when we get there.....

You have been a great help.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:43 AM

You did good It pays to shop around.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks mclauri!. Can't wait to go there. I saw an older post that Patrick sent re: restaurants in order of Excellent to poor. I'm going to print that out.

It's great getting advice from people that either live where one is going to visit or have been there like you have.

Our all time favorite place is St. John, USVI and I've helped a few people out when they have asked questions.

I love these forums....