St. Augustine or Clearwater/Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to visit my mother in central Florida (lower Lake County) in May for a week or so. We'd like to do a short overnight trip (two nights, probably). Which would be better--St. Augustine or one night in Clearwater and another in Naples? Although I'd originally thought St. Augustine, I'm leaning toward Clearwater/Naples. Would like to walk on the beach, do a little shopping (mostly window shopping), have a nice meal or two in pretty setting. Nothing too strenuous.
I have not been to any of these places. Have done the Orlando area, of course, and also Tampa/St. Pete and many many years ago did Sarasota. My mother's roommate from nursing school lives in Ft. Myers, so we'll stop there for a chat. While we're back in Lake County, we'll probably day trip to Bok Tower, the Villages, and one of the big malls.
Any good hotel recs for Clearwater? Water view would be enjoyed. Prefer modern and fairly new to B&B charm. Up to $150 per night for a double (with AAA discount). And any recs for Naples besides the Ritz? Same rate.
St. Augustine is still a possibility, so thanks for the hotel recs you offered on another post.
Thanks!
P.S. By the way, anyone know what the plans are for the old Cypress Gardens?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:09 AM

I'm unclear what you mean by "Clearwater/Naples". You do know they are between 3 and 4 hours apart, right? You could do one or the other, but hardly consider them as one. Certainly Naples is much further away for you.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I do know. That's why we'd be staying two nights--one night in Clearwater and the next in Naples.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:07 PM

OK, I didn't pick up on that idea.
I'd suggest since you're only talking about an afternoon (or part of one) and an evening in Naples, that you stay at The Inn on Fifth, a nice boutique hotel in the center of Fifth Avenue shopping and dining. You can walk to the beach from there (6 blocks), and you'll be able to select from a myriad of popular dining places in the evening. There are no hotels on the beach in Naples itself except the Edgewater Beach Resort and the Naples Beach and Golf Resort. It hardly seems worthwhile to pay resort prices when you won't be able to enjoy all their facilities (my opinion).
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Cypress Gardens just reopened as a theme park. Less expensive than the others. Haven't been there yet, but they are having deals now so will try to get there in Feb.
Both Clearwater and Naples are nice beaches. Naple way more up scale.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Since you've already been to Tampa Bay area, I'd suggest two nights in Naples rather than one in CW and one in Naples. Too much driving three days in a row, and not enough time to see the area, especially considering the stop in Ft Myers along the way.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Cypress Gardens was purchased less than a year ago by a park operator who plans to keep it up and running Unfortunately, the three hurricanes last year passed directly over the park and it doesn't take much wind to knock down those huge towering bouganvillas. So they are slowly trying to get back on their feet. I don't know if they are open or not but I'm sure you can google and find out.