Loews San Diego help?

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loews San Diego help?

Hi everybody. I'll make this a short one. I'm staying in San Diego next week for 5 days. We chose the Loews San Diego. I've never been to California before. I am from Rhode Island. It will be me, my wife, and my 2 children (9 and 11). Should we rent a car. I can get a rate of about 150 dollars for a full size, and Loews gets you for 15 dollars a day to park. So I'm looking at about 225 to 300 dollars when it's all said and done. We will also be with my inlaws (they would rent their own car also), so we were considering a limo service too. Do you need a rental car at this place and why? I always like to have one. Also, is there enough to do in the general vicinity that we can survive without one and rely on shuttles and taxi services. I need some quick help on this one. Any other hotel information is appreciated too. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
lvk

Loew's San Diego is actually on Coronado Island, and quite isolated. (I haven't stayed at the hotel, but have been an overnight guest on a yacht in their marina.) I don't recall it being within walking distance of many things. So the answer is yes, you definitely need a car. Shuttle and taxi service to get over to the "mainland" would cost you a pretty penny. We took a taxi to the gas lamp district from there and, if recall correctly, it was something like $35 each way (lots of traffic going over the bridge and back).

Unfortunately, the weather next week won't be beach or pool weather, so you'll probably want to get off Coronado Island and explore the attractions of San Diego. You'll want a car to get to Sea World, The Zoo and Balboa Park, the Wild Animal Park, etc.

Have you thought about renting a minivan that all 6 of you can fit in? That way, you only pay the $15/day for one car.

Have a great time! My mom lives in RI also and she visits my brother in Miami for 3 weeks in Jan. and me in Southern Cal for 3 weeks in Feb.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:17 PM

If it is indeed on Coronado, there is public transport (ferry and tram) from Coronado to downtown San Diego but not sure how far the Loews is from these stops. The bigger issue, as Ivk mentions, is getting around if it's not good weather. Everyone in California drives and having a car in San Diego wil make your trip more pleasant. Whether you should get 2 cars or one minivan or whether you need it for the entire time you're there is your decision.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You really need a car. There is nothing close to Loews except the beach at Silver Strand.

The weather is supposed to be dry, but that could change. It may not be very warm, in the 60s, but should be sunny.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. It seems like I need to rent one. There will actually be 9 of us during the vacation. Seven of us flying in from Rhody, and 2 others from Florida. I was considering a limo from the airport with the 7 of us, and maybe calling for a rental while I'm there maybe just for a day or 2. It actually may work out cheaper that way. It just gets me when I have to pay that 15 dollar parking fee at Loews. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Pete - this hotel is on a penisula, and definitely not within walking distance to anything, your out on your own. Great hotel, nice,clean,upscale, geared towards kids, but not sure how busy it will be since it's off season for them. You should rent a Van or car most definitely,it just isn't a taxi type of area. Definitely check out the Hotel del Coronado,walk around there and the beach,great area for later after the day. Then cross the bridge to Old World,nice to walk around and browse shops and eat.
Have fun!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I have stayed at this hotel. It was quite nice, however, it is really not walkable to anything. A car is a must if you plan to stay at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. We enjoyed our stay and I would stay there again.

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM

The hotel may be nice but it's the last place you should stay without a car. Even to get to Coronado town is a walk of several miles.

Consider how much you are spending on the total trip, don't skimp on the last $15x5. You say you've never been to CA before, make the most of it.