Search

san diego vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM
jimmyr

san diego vacation

Wife and I are staying downtown at the Holiday Inn on the bay. Do we really need a car to get around for one week or would the ferry to Coronado and the trolley get us to interesting places?

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego is not as sprawling as LA or Houston, but it is spread out. You CAN get around by public transportation, but it will eat up a lot of prime touring time. By not having a car, you could miss out on visiting beautiful La Jolla and exploring at your leisure, to name one thing that would be a shame to miss.

It's just easier. I'm completely a fan of NOT renting a car when you can get away with it. But it's just not advisable in this situation.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely agree with rjw. The ferry and the trolley will get you to some interesting/fun places and getting to
Balboa Park and the Zoo from your hotel on the Embarcadero is easy and quick by taxi. Without a car, you will miss many other great experiences in San Diego and its surrounding small towns. You don't need a car for the whole week, but certainly for two or three days.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
jimmyr

Thanks for the advice. We are going to rent a car for 2 or 3 days over the weekend and use public transit the rest of the time. Should be lots of fun using the ferry and trolley!

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We found San Diego one of the easiest cities to navigate with a car - did not get lost once. Streets actually have signs and interchanges are actually marked (unlike Boston, where we live where even locals must guess at everything)