NAPLES FORTMYERS TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAPLES FORTMYERS TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE

From reading many posts it seems traffic is a huge problem in this area.Since our vacation is fairly short,besides staying inside, is there anyway to beat this snarl of traffic? I'm wondering if there are some routes I could take that would avoid some of it?Thanks so much for all of the info you have all passed on to me so far.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Where are you staying and what are your plans? Generally speaking, avoid US 41 anytime after 3:30pm and do not attempt to go north on I-75 any time after 3:30pm, especially on a Friday.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM

You'll need to explain what routes you're talking about. If it is to go from downtown Ft. Myers to downtown Naples, that's a lot different that from Vanderbilt Beach or Bonita Beach to downtown Naples.
There are some alternatives, just be more specific.
And I'll be honest. Right now there is little or no construction (is that possible?) on 41 south of Bonita, so I've been having better luck sticking on 41 as opposed to some of the alternative routes, depending on time of travel.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.We are staying in Fort Myers around pineridge and summerlin rd. We hope to go down to Naples, as well to sanible and captiva.We will also be going to Miami to see the Doral golf tournament.As well we have tickets to see the Red Sox play in Fort Myers.Looking forward to a great trip.Any suggestions on routes or restuarants/great things to do are much appreciated
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:21 AM
bamakelly

If you're staying at Gulf Harbour, you'll love it there!

To Sanibel/Captiva, go the direct and only route (follow the signs). This is not likely to be a huge problem until you get onto the islands. No alternate routes there. Just try to plan your trip so that you are not trying to get OFF the islands between 3-6. (Either come home earlier or stay and eat dinner).

To Naples, I'd go up Pine Ridge to Gladiolus, follow all the way to Cypress Lake/Daniels, turn right and head to the Interstate. Alternatively you can take Pine Ridge to Summerlin up to Cypress Lake/Daniels. About the same either way. Same traffic problem here: eat dinner in Naples and return after that. As previously mentioned, traffic is stop and go on the Interstate between 3-6.

I'd take the Interstate to Miami as well.

Others may recommend taking 41 to Naples or Miami. I avoid that road at all costs around town and when going longer distances to Naples or Miami. I have never, ever found it to be faster, and it raises my blood pressure significantly! The only time I have ever used it is to take Gladiolus to 41, head South to Alico Road, take Alioc Road to interstate. This is only a short stretch of 41 and is the lowest-populated stretch of this road as well.
I only use this route when going to the outlets or to the university. Alico Road can also be frustrating at times, so I recommend the other way.

In and around Ft Myers, you can avoid 41 by taking Summerlin (Pine Ridge takes you there) to go most of the way across town. It will take you as far as the mall (close to Red Sox). Alternatively, you can take Cypress Lake all the way past 41 to Metro. (You can access Cypress Lake either down McGregor or the above mentione way via Summerlin.) Metro runs parallel to 41, and is much less travelled, though it's a little farther down the road. Metro might be your best bet to get to the stadium.

Lots of directions here; hope you have a map and can follow along. Just avoid 41 if possible and watch out for the 3-6 traffic rush.

Also to get a table, get reservations or eat out really early (6) or later (8:30 - 9).

have fun!

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:26 AM
bamakelly

Forgot to mention all above directions are from Gulf Harbour. If you are staying on Summerlin Road you can amend slightly (this should make sense if looking at a map).

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM

To continue the route into downtown Naples -- once you are taking I-75 south from the Ft. Myers area, go to exit # 107 (Pine Ridge Road -- not to be confused with the Ft. Myers road of the same name). Exit and go to the right (West). Go to the next "major" intersection and light which is Livingston Road. Turn left onto Livingston and go all the way to the end, turning right, there on Radio Road. Go to the end of Radio Road and turn left on Airport-Pulling Road. Turn right on Davis Blvd. and that will take you straight into Fifth Avenue South and the beach.
This sounds more complicated that it is, but speeds the time from I-75 to Fifth Avenue a LOT!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM
MermaidSea

Patrick's right on the money about that. Try to minimize your time on I-75. My parents are in Naples and yesterday my father drove up to Estero and it took him well over an hour. There's nothing much you can do about the traffic when it's "the season." (Except wait for all the snowbirds to return home!)