Most scenic route from Tampa to Miami?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Tampa and then heading down to Miami for a cruise. Mapquest sends us straight south and then across Alligator Alley. Is there a more scenic route through the Everglades? If so, how much extra time is required?

Thank you.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Tamiami Trail (SR 41)....

Here is some info on it:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/webspeci...chapter1.shtml

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Actually that would be US41...not SR41.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Although I don't know about using US41 from Naples to Miami, I strongly urge you to forget about the "scenic route" going from Tampa to Naples (the southbound part of your trip). I've tried it a couple of times going to visit family in Naples, and after an hour of stop and go traffic, too many fast food joints, etc, my family BEGS me to hop back onto the interstate. Just not worth it. And it is quite a distance between the two the farther south you get.

Assuming you're driving the same day you're cruising, you better just get there, because it will take at least four hours anyway. Don't want to miss that ship!

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I'm in Naples and nearly always take US 41 from Naples (very near to the toll booth to I-75's Alligator Alley) to Miami.

Definitely stick with I-75 from Tampa to Naples, but take the last exit before the toll in Naples. Go south (on Collier Blvd) to US 41, about 5 or 6 miles and turn left. It is indeed a lot more scenic. Be careful. I saw an endangered Florida panther get hit by a car on that road last May. Lots of birds and alligators, and sometimes deer.
Once you get to the Western edge of Miami, take the turnpike north just one exit, then the expressway to the cruise ports. Mapquest will help you with that.

By the way, I've found that it is often quicker from Miami Airport to Naples that way than going north to near Ft. Lauderdale and then across I-75!