Search

Nantucket Inns

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantucket Inns

I have never been to Nantucket but would love to visit. Thinking more about trying to see it during off-season (in April) for just a few days as a quick getaway.... NEED TO RELAX... ha ha ha.... Would love to get information on the better inns. Looking for something reasonably close to the downtown area..... something convenient.... I know nothing aboput Nantucket except for what I have read on various postings and am dying to visit. will be going with my girlfriend... No action is fine..... and perhaps something not terribly expensive (going in the offseason to avoid the prices for at least the first time)... I live in Mass so I plan to be back.

Thanks so much as always!!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM

You want better but not expensive on Nantucket?

What is your budget?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Not sure what you mean by that..... I have seen offseason prices at some of the places (like the Cottages by the Boat Basin) that are quite reasonable in April.... Lets just say I am not an $800/night guy.... but don't want to stay at the worst place on the island.... Does that help.... I would be thankful for any information anyone can give.... Better to have more info than none.... Including restaurants and beaches..... We are looking at doing nothing but reading, walking beaches, eating good meals, chilling out..... would prefer a place with a nice common room and fireplace... but rooms, etc don't need to be overly luxurious....Thanks.

J
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM

Why don't you just say how much you want to spend per night so people can help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM

I love the Cottages!!! It is our off season go to destination with our hound!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM

Hi Jim: You might like Seven Sea Street - it's a "post and beam" inn on a quiet side street close to downtown. It has a nice common room/library with a wood burning stove. The couple that owns the inn are also good hosts. I've also heard nice things about the Union Street Inn, but have never stayed there. We have a house now on island, but Seven Sea Street was our choice when we stayed in B&Bs. You can also get a wealth of information about the various inns at www.nantucket.net. You mention April - Daffodil Weekend (one of the event weekends) is April 24-26 so you may either want to plan a trip around that, or avoid it! Enjoy Nantucket - it's a treasure and we are lucky to have it so close by living in MA.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just want to say that if you're traveling with your girlfriend but "no action is fine," then you're really more like a married couple.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful.... Thanks. Been looking at nantucket.net and its very helpful.... but its always good to get input from the fodorites!! Never been led astray by the Fodorites on all of my trips!

Is Patriots Day weekend too early? will restaurants etc be open? Looking at Sat, Sun Mon nights come back Tuesday....
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Are the Cottages close to downtown?

Love the "no Action" comment Fra.... dying laughing! I was thinking more along the lines of "nightlife"... ha ha ha!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

What is Patriots Day?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM

Hi Jim: The restaurants that were closed for the winter are starting to re-open, and all will be open by Daffodil Weekend. Maybe Ackislander (who lives on Nantucket) will see this thread and give a report about what's open now and what isn't? We're planning on going Daffodil Weekend to open up our house so I don't know yet what will be open on Patriots Day. There are still many restaurants open year-round so you will have a choice regardless of places to eat but many of the "fine" dining places close for the winter.

FYI Patriots Day is a MA/Boston holiday that commemorates Paul Revere's ride, the battle of Lexington/Concord and the start of the Revolution. It's also the same day as the Boston Marathon so it's a big holiday here in Boston.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

what about the 76 Main street Inn???
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM

Check what specials might be available here (includes the Boat Basin Cottages): http://www.nantucketislandresorts.co...n-packages.php
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM

I don't think we should continue promoting the Boat Basin Cottages - lest they raise their offseason rates and we get locked out.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM

It's gonna be real cool and quiet in Nantucket in April, though as reported, many places will be reopening around Daffodil Weekend. Some of them will be closing again for a month right after that.

I have actually spent much of the winter in Virginia, dealing with family/medical issues, so I am not up on the absolute latest on what is open.

I do know from visits and communication with friends that many streets have been torn up for new sewer and storm sewer installations, and some of the cobblestones have not yet been replaced.

If I were taking a first trip to Nantucket, I would want it to be in September, but if April is when you can go, it's when you can go.

We stayed at the 7 Sea Street Inn when our house was being remodeled. It is very convenient and the owners are pleasant, but you want to ask for an upstairs room. Because of the post and beam construction, the floor of one room is the ceiling of the one below, so there is little auditory privacy.

If the Cottages are open, they are a unique experience.