MV/Cape Cod/Nantucket Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a second honeymoon trip in October 2004 (not 2003). Neither of us has ever been to New England and thought it would be a nice break from our Florida heat. But, we are very picky about our lodging. We are looking for a resort-type place, with privacy (bath, patio)--so B&B isn't really for us. We would like to walk out our balcony and view the ocean and hear the surf. We'd love the room to have a fireplace and/or jacuzzi tub, and we'd love the resort to have a bar/pub. We really don't want to socialize with other guests--this vacation alone together has taken us 20 years, so we want it this trip to be very quiet and romantic. Walks on the beach, walk into town, or just sit on the balcony at sunset.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. Also, we aren't opposed to any other place in New England or Upstate NY, etc., so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

THANK YOU!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 03:02 PM

These places on Cape Cod meet most if not all of your requirements and desires: Boatslip Resort; Chatham Bars Inn; Lands End Inn; Ocean Edge Resort; Red Jacket Beach Resort and the Wequassett Inn.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Nothing on MV meets all your criteria.
The Wauwinet on Nantucket gets close (no firplaces except in the >$1000/nt cottages, no jacuzzis).
That's it for the islands.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM

We were recently in Cape Cod over the 4th, and while we didn't stay at this place, we strongly considered it. You may want to check it out www.winsteadinn.com.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Here's another recommendation for the Wauwinet on Nantucket. Perfect for the fussy on a second honeymoon.

However, you might want to check out the Inn at Sawmill Farm in Vermont, if you're going in early October (for the glorious fall foliage). Unbelievably comfortable and romantic and perfect in every way. Visiting New England in October - the gorgeous fall foliage is preferable to "walks on the beach".

Other incredible fall destinations would include the Sunset Hill House or Mountain View or Balsams in New Hampshire.

Then, there's the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, Maine, or the Cliff House in Ogunquit...
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:25 PM
gyppielou

well, dj, I was about to recommend the 2 grand hotels in Chatham, followed by a stay at the White Elephant in Nantucket, but your suggestion of foliage and the White Barn Inn...not a bad idea....perhaps mix it with Boston and Woodstock Vermont?..............the trip has endless pos..........

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:27 PM
gyppielou

understand cookie, these inns mentioned are far beyond the cliche inn experience, they are resorts in their on rite....

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your great info. I hadn't thought about Vermont or New Hampshire, so I'll investigate your suggestions there. Also, will look at Kennebunkport, Maine. I've requested brochures from all the properties you've all listed. We're going to have to make a choice of fall foilage only (no beach) or try to find a combination of both. We're "water people" and like nothing more than waking up to the sound of waves crashing on shore or at least the beauty of the morning tide.

If anyone has any personal recommendations for places anywhere in the N.E., by all means, let me know your experiences. We probably have too much time to decide, and I'm not sure that's a great idea! Too much time to think!haha

Thank again all. If you or anyone has anything to add, please post.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I think the Wauwinet is an excellent choice in the Fall. They have hat they call the "Taste of Nantucket" which is essentially a lot of free tours and activities that run midweek. The rates midweek are much cheaper as well. You may be really surprised. Have another look at their website: www.wauwinet.com My husband and I are there every Fall and we absolutely love it!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Um, "travelbuddy," I can't help wondering why you chose to resurrect a post from LAST SUMMER as your first-and-only contribution to the boards.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:21 AM

Anonymous - Cookie was looking to travel in 2004, better late than never!