Must eat places around Waikiki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Waikiki for 3 days. Any suggestions on places to eat. We love Roy's and Sansei in Maui but want suggestions for Waikiki?

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:35 AM

My favorite restaurant is Orchids at the Halekulani. The food is wonderful, the ambience can't be beat and the service is outstanding. Keep in mind that this is a bit on the pricey side, but it will be a memory you won't forget. If you go on their website they show the menu's. Oh, I can taste the perfectly prepared veal chop now! I will have to wait until next March to taste another one.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM

Funny, I was going to suggest La Mer at the Halekulani for an absolutely fabulous meal. Incredible French food, atmosphere to die for and service that is at it's best no matter when you go there.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I second La Mer for an unforgettable dining experience. When I was there in March, also ate at L'Uraku and Diamond Head Grill, both very good.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM

My husbamd says we must eat at La Mer when we go next March. I am not big on French food, but I will give it a shot.

Don't forget to bring a jacket and tie if you decide to dine there. It's required.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM

fivestar, no tie is required at La Mer. A jacket is only required if the gentleman is wearing a short sleeved shirt. From the Halekulani's website for La Mer: "Long-sleeved collared shirt OR jacket required for gentlemen."

No restaurant in Hawaii requires a tie. The only restaurant that always requires a jacket is the gourmet restaurant at the Lodge at Koele on Lanai.

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I enjoyed the Banyan Veranda at the old Moana Surfrider hotel, both the dinner restaurant on the veranda, and the more casual bar in the courtyard below around the banyan tree. Go at sunset.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM

We loved House Without a Key at sunset. It was touristy but very memorable.

The brunch/tea at Banyan Verandah is wonderful.

Also, for casual meals, we liked Duke's Canoe Club and Cha Cha Cha's.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM

I know they used to require a jacket. Perhaps I was wrong about the tie, but when my husband inquired the last time we were there they stated that a jacket was required.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Leonards for maslasadas!

Chai's (check the IN for a coupon).

Ocean House at the Outrigger Reef Hotel...great ocean view and good, reasonable food.

I found the Hulla Grill unbearably noisy (we left).

Nicks was delicious food, great service and not nearly so crowded ( no wait with no reservation the night we 'stumbled onto it, when everything else was 1 & 3/4 Hr. wait!) It is dimly lit, & no ocean view. But the lights are adjustable, and if you wish just ask the server to turn yours up.

There was a coupon in the E-book for free entree with purchase of another for Nicks, Waikiki.

Belle
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM

Suze and Bradshawgirl (like Carrie Bradshaw ?)took the words out of my mouth. The setting at the Sheraton Moana courtyard is wonderful and has a fascinating history. ( If you also go to Pearl Harbor, in the moving documentary you see befor taking the boat to the memorial, there are scenes of the soldiers dancing under that same banyan tree, the night before the attack.)
If you're married, you could combine a visit to Moana with their every Friday night group wedding renewal ceremony.
Orchids is a gorgeous setting, or you can get that wonderful Halekulani feeling with a nighttime drink on beach's edge at House Without A Key watching hula and listening to the band.
Do you want to partake of that wonderful Hawaiian specialty, shave ice. Many will direct you to the No. Shore for the best in Haleiwa, but right in Waikiki you can find great shave ice at Waiola Shave Ice. There are tow locations, one near the zoo, and one that's around the corner from a great Thai Restaurant (on King St) called Chiang Mai,
The shave ice place is fun not just for the shave ice, but for the atmosphere. They post RULES for ordering shave ice. The service is abrupt but funny!! Read articles posted there and you'll see a long time customer compares the server lady to the "soup Nazi" in Seinfeld.