Reload this Page >

Mt. Pleasant area of Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Pisces

My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston in early October. I've found a wealth of information thru this board- most importantly, we can't afford to stay in the historic district! Our budget tops out at about $90/night for lodging. I'm looking at the hotels in the Mt. Pleasant area. Any comments on the Shem Creek Inn? There've been a few negative comments about Red Roof Inn- what about other chain hotels in the area? Clean and quiet are our biggest concerns.

Thanks for any and all help!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Gretchen

There is a nice Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant. You might try bidding on Priceline--keep your *'s high to get the nicer hotels.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:44 PM
carol

You should look into the properties located directly next to the Isle of Palms Connector. We vacation at Wild Dunes every year and pass these hotels as we drive into Charleston. There is a Comfort Inn, and 2 or 3 other properties. They are on 517(the connector) and they are adjacent to a new shopping area called Town Centre. This way, you can also easily visit the beach on the IOP, or check out some of the really good restaurants on Sullivan's Island, in addition to all Charleston has to offer. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:45 PM
xx

My vote is for the Holiday Inn, Mt. Pleasant. Had a ship's reunion there two years ago and received excellent treatment.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Danna

As far as location, anywhere between the Cooper river bridge and the Isle of Palms connector is an easy drive to either location (just don't go toward town at am rush hour and vice versa). I wouldn't worry about not staying downtown, the biggest advantage is just not having to move your car at night to go out. Parking is expensive in the historic district (I still paid $10/day to park at my $180 hotel) and the meter maids are very attentive. Perhaps plan in advance to find a public lot when you go to the historic district.

I, too, have had a fight in the lobby of the Red Roof Inn. Nothing really wrong with the property, just bad attitude.(tried to charge me a two-night min)

ONe other idea: I recently got a litte ad in my CPA newsletter that 3 Inns in the historic district were offering a "corporate" rate of $80 Sun-Thur. This leads me to believe they are suffering from less-than-full occupancy. You could try calling them direct and see what kind of rate you could acheive. You could always change hotels when the rate goes up on the weekend. The Inns are: Kings Courtyard Inn ( I have stayed there, it is nice and very well located) Victoria House Inn, and Fulton Lane Inn. 843-722-8680. I would be curious to hear if you have any luck.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:58 AM
dan woodlief

Just across the street from the Red Roof Inn (which I have complained of in the past) is the Sleep Inn. It seems very new, is back off the road a ways (so quiet), has friendly and helpful desk staff, and has smallish but very adequate rooms. It should run you around $75-$100 a night, depending on the night of the week and time of year. The only negative, if you like baths, is that there is only a shower. I only take showers, but our three-year old is certainly more fond of a bath.

I have stayed in this area twice (the last time for over a week) and found it very convenient. You will spend a bit on parking when you go downtown, but of course it is a lot less expensive than staying downtown. For overall convenience to the beaches, Patriot Point, Ft. Moultrie, Ft. Sumter boats, Boone Hall Plantation, and downtown, it is a hard location to beat.

You can see my two Charleston travelogues at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

Go to BiddingforTravel.com and read the FAQ and bid on downtown Charleston. I've seen the historic distict go as cheap as $40 per night.