Search

MPF, questions about subway from Univeral to star sidewalk

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPF, questions about subway from Univeral to star sidewalk

Hi MPF,
I saw your comments on another post, but didn't want to take up their post with my question. You mentioned about the subway from Universal Studios to the Theater and the sidewalk stars. How far is it from Universal (to the subway station)? Is is safe? (We will be going late afternoon)

You mentioned Hollywood and Highland and also Pantages theater, which is the better stop to go to?

Any other advice you can offer? I appreciate your help. BTW, it's me (40) and a 17 year old.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andiamo
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:35 AM
mpf

Hi!
There is a tram from Universal Studios that takes you down the hill to the Red Line. I assume they would run frequently as there are employees as well as tourists. It would be only a few minutes ride down the hill.

The Red Line is safe, late afternoon is no problem. There are security cameras, no restrooms at the stations (crime prevention) and the trains run frequently. When you come up from the station, on your right will be the Chinese Theater, and to your left the complex.

Hollywood/Highland (next stop from Universal) has the Kodak Theater, Graumann's Chinese Theater, and where you want to go. We enjoy the fourth level (restaurants) and you can see the Hollywood sign quite well from there.

I mentioned the Pantages, in the event you were planning to see a show. My daughter and I have taken the Red Line from Hollywood at 11 p.m., and the trains run about every 20 minutes at that time. It has worked out fine, but a little nervous waiting at that hour because fewer people around.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for responding! Sounds like a great way to go, since I can leave my car at Universal! Perfect! Do you by any chance know how much the tickets will cost? Do you buy them there at the subway station?

Thanks for mentioning the Hollywood sign. That was a HUGE item on Lucy's list of things to do! So this will be great! I'm so glad you mentioned it, otherwise, we'd be so close and miss it!

You mentioned the "Red Line" Is that the name of the subway? Also, is "Hollywood/Highland" the name of the stop we should be looking for?

MPF, thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. This will help us so much in accomplishing our sightseeing goals, but I never would have known about it if you didn't mention it! Thanks again!

If you ever come to SF....post and I'd be more than happy to provide some suggestions!

Andiamo
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM

The fare is $1.25 each way, the change machine takes coins or bills. The machines are down the escalators, you can't miss them. Have your coins out and ready so you're not fumbling through your purse in front of people...the normal precautions. Your Univ ticket will be good for re-admittance if you leave for a while and then go back. It's been hot, so afternoon might be a nice break in the air cond subway and then browsing in the air cond stores at the Hollywood mall. If you are sightseeing elsewhere around L.A., the mall has a visitors center with tons of brochures & pamphlets.

On the trip down to Hollywood, you stand on the side of the subway that goes to Los Angeles, not to "North Hollywood". On the return trip, the sign says "North Hollywood". Once you go down the escalators, it is a little disorienting, you feel like you are headed back in the same direction that you came...but just look for the overhead sign "north hollywood" and get off at Universal.
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:07 AM
mpf

Yes, Red Line is the name we commonly use to refer to the subway, and Hollywood/Highland is the name of the stop you want to get off.

Another interesting aspect of the Red Line stations, is that each has it's own individuality. The H/H station ceiling is covered with movie reels.

You were given good information about the signs heading to and from. It is very easy, and quick. When you see all the people milling around, you will be proud of yourself for being adventurous!

Old May 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Such amazing advice! Thank you, we will be so prepared! Great advice to take a break during the day. We are on the VIP tour, so we will be with them until 4, but maybe we can take a break then for a few hours, and come back to the park in the later evening. Thanks so much for the detailed info! Really great!!!!
Andiamo