Moving to SF: Where to live?

Jun 8th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Moving to SF: Where to live?

Pls recommend the nicest area(s) to live in SF. My dream location should be safe (least chance for crimes) and convenient (without a car), clean, and beautiful.

I'm in mid twenties going there late this year for my master's (at University of San Francisco) and for work.

Heard much about the Bay area and the Silicon Valley. Are these areas the downtown or CBD? Should I get a place there?

Need your idea. Thanks a lot in advance
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:41 AM

The Bay Area is the large metropolitan area surrounding SF Bay. It includes SF, the Peninsula (San Mateo, Foster City, Redwood City, etc), the South Bay (San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, etc), the East Bay (Oakland, San Leandro, Castro Valley, etc), and the North Bay (Marin, San Rafael, etc).

Silicon Valley is almost synomymous with the Santa Clara Valley which is in the South Bay - the area is now known more for technology than for agriculture as it was in the past. Silicon Valley includes Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Santa Clara, among others.

So there's a bit of an introduction to the area and what things are generally called. Check out a map to get yourself oriented.

If you are going to be studying in SF, it makes sense to live in SF if you can afford it. And public transportation in SF is a lot better than transportation in any other Bay Area city, so you should be able to do just fine without a car. As for where in SF to live, it often comes down to what you can afford. What is your rent budget?
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM

The question of how much you want to or can pay in rent is prime. You are in a relatively safe area of SF at USF. I'd say if you want to be very closee look at the Inner Richmond,Laurel Hgts or Jordon Park neighborhoods. Rent for a studio will probably be in the $11-1200 range. I lived in the Jordan Park neighborhood for years. It's across Geary Blvd from USF, close to major buslines and with shopping well within
walking distance. The inner RIchmond is also close to USF. Rents might be a bit lower but I wouldn't say by much. If you live in the Cole Valley area you will also be close to USF. I'd suggest you check the housing board at USF and at UCSF(the med center). It may keep you out of some of the frey of renting in the city. Sometimes, folks list in-law there that can be had for a bit lower than studio rents/1 bedroom rents throughout the city. Check Craig's list now that you have neighborhood suggestions and see what rents are running.
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM
E

Good advice! I would add that you should get a good map--the area is vast, and rental listings aren't always honest about their distance from the City. Once you orient yourself in terms of exactly where USF is, things will become clearer for you. (And check to see if USF has a Housing Office or some other assistance for finding housing--I bet they do.) Good luck! And welcome to a gorgeous area--I think you'll love it!
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM

PamSF mentions some very safe, good neighborhoods. I can vouch for both the inner Richmond and the inner Sunset ("inner" meaning up to Park Presidio in the Richmond, 19th Ave. in the Sunset). The only area of the Sunset I don't particularly like is the outer-outer portion, such as 47th and Judah or so. You will have more fog in these western neighborhoods, being on the seaward side of Twin Peaks.

My best advice is to look for digs in a neighborhood which has never appeared on an S.F. postcard! By that I mean anywhere in North Beach, Russian Hill, Pac Heights, etc.

Good luck - and for reference, could you please specify the school you are attending? I think there is some confusion here.
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:25 AM

To clarify -
Don't look for cheaper rents IN North Beach, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, as these neighborhoods often are photographed for postcards and guidebooks!
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM
alg

I agree that checking craig's list is a great way to find either a place to rent or, if you are willing, a good roommate situation. I currently live in the city without a car and have no problems. I think in your situation, if I could live anywhere, I would chose the lower Haight area (around Duboce triangle). There are several bus lines and Muni trains that run through this neighborhhod which makes getting anywhere in the city very easy. Plus, you are withing walking distance of the Upper Haight, Cole Valley, the Castro, and Hayes Valley...all neighborhoods with a good selection of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Ultimately, you may want to avoid neighborhoods that are served by only one bus or train line as this will limit your options of getting around. Oh, and I would not choose to live in the downtown/financial district area. There is not much going on at night and the rents can be quite high.