Mother Daughter Trip to Charleston

May 14th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Mother Daughter Trip to Charleston

I've planned a Mother Daughter trip to Charleston for June 6th-11th. I know it will be super hot but it was the only time we could go. We are staying at the Ansonborough Inn. Has anyone ever stayed there?
Also, any suggestions on the best sites not to be missed and restaurants to visit would be helpful.
Thanks so much
May 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM

hi,
I live in Charleston. Some of my favorite restaurants are Ansons, Pennisula Grill, Cru, Fish, Carolinas, McCrady's. Girbalidis. There are many more but these are great.

Take a carriage ride. Great shopping.
Hope you have a great time.
May 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM

My daughter and i have done many mother/daughter trips (you didn't mention how old your daughter is) to charleston.

first of all, you may get lucky and have moderate temperatures in june (july and august can be hell) .

i have not stayed at the ansonborough inn but friends who have really liked it - the location is convenient to everything.

our favorite activity is walking along king street and shopping (or window shopping) - a real eclectic selection of shops. the aquarium in chas is a great hot day/rainy day activity, too.

the market - particularly on the weekend - is fun to browse (although i have rarely purchased anything).

there is a restaurant called justine's kitchen which has wonderful southern blue plate lunches. we also had a great brunch at high cotton. magnolia and blossom are charleston legends. the last time we were in chas, we were referred to a little "joint" slightly off the beaten track called hominy grill. the brunch was just great and they have a lovely little outdoor garden.

i've heard the ghost tours are a lot of fun, too.
May 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'm the daughter and I'm taking my mother. We try to do something every year and I've also heard how neat Charleston is. I am a chef so I'm looking forward to dining at some great restaurants. We'd also like to tour some mansions and plantations. Any come to mind?
May 16th, 2004, 03:07 PM
bonniebroad

My favorite restaurant in Charleston is Magnolia's Uptown........... fabulous! I love both Magnolia Plantation & Gardens and Middleton Place. Middleton has a fabulous restaurant. So wonderful that you and your Mom do this together......

May 21st, 2004, 06:04 PM

A wonderful way to get a feel for the city is take a carriage ride; we were in Charleston in April and enjoyed the ride, the market, shopping!! (King Street), the aquarium on a rainy day; Poogans Porch for dinner. We also had lunch at a cafe that had the best wraps and soups, dah, can't recall the name but it was on Market Street close to Days Inn.

Another interesting shop was The Historical Charleston Society on Market St.; reproductions but nice browsing.

We toured Drayton Hall during our stay and found the tour guide to be a lover of history and in turn made our visit that much better. We also stayed for the picnic at the plantation which was hosted by the Historical Society and featured steamed oysters, beer, wine and soda, and a lowcountry buffet. What a treat!

Check out www.charleston.com or www.charlestoncvb.com.

Jun 9th, 2004, 07:48 AM

What perfect timing! I am also planning a Mother-Daughter trip to Charleston for September. I would love to hear your input on the Ansonborough Inn as it is one of the places we are considering staying. Is it easy walking to the historical area? Does anyone have any other suggestions for lodging? Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM

to: CharlestonSC - I agree w/ several your restaurant recs for Fish, Garibaldi, and McCradys. Never heard of Cru. Can you give me the 411? We may have similar taste. Thanks.
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:40 AM

To StephieD-

another great place to stay is the Elliot House Inn- right off Market St...It is a historic inn- they give you free bikes to ride around Charleston- serve wine and cheese out by the outdoor jacuzzi and HAVE a Jacuzzi for about 10 people covered with a grape arbor..We love it there- as the jacuzzi comes in handy after a day of walking around in the heat and SEPT can be HOT as blazes...