Motorcycle Trip: Florida to Upstate NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 10 day trip from Tampa to Cooperstown and back. We already know we will be stopping in Williamsburg, VA, Baltimore, MD, NYC, and Mahopac, NY.

Has anyone ever done this trip...if so, any recommendation on must see sites and side roads? We don't want to do the interstate the entire trip.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM

That's 2600 miles in 10 days - kind of far I would think given the number of stops you already want to make.

Even if you only spend one day at each stop you'll be doing almost 600 miles per day on a bike - which seems kind of much. And in all honesty, you really need to spend more time than that in NYC if you actually want to see anything. I wouldn;t be looking to addd more stops at this point.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Sidenote to explain the stops...
1. We are only stoping in Maryland for dinner with a friend
2. We are from NY/NYC so we really won't be sightseeing there. We are having dinner in NYC with friends then heading up to Mahopac to stay with my in-laws
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM
GoTravel

Make sure you have a windshield on the bike. If not you'll eat bugs constantly.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:39 AM

What are you riding? We went from Burlington, Vt to Homestead in 4 days on a GoldWing, super slab all the way. The fifth day we were in Key West for 3 days. Then spent the next week to ride back home. If you have time ride the Blue Ridge (much cooler on a hot day plus great views if clear), take the Cheasapeak (sp) Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Stop at the mid way rest stop and have a bite. Almost every trip we take we spend a night or two in Lancaster, Pa. It is a good break for us before the last day riding home which is 430 miles. Hope this helps... Keep the rubber on the road.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Ooohh... are you going to be tired! Anyway, are you going to take the same route back to Florida that you are riding up on?
Keep in mind that the road to get to Cooperstown is a rural road and kinda windy (wine-dy lol).